Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What do you do w/ ur picky eater?
jan21baby posted:
Ok so I know all kids go through the picky eating stage and it sucks! Im just curious to how all you handle it. I just made my son lunch. Some homemade baked chicken from last night and he will NOT eat it. But I guarentee if I gave him some chicken nuggets he'll eat them. Or if I give him spaghetti-o's or mc n cheese he'll eat it! But he eats that stuff ALL DAY EVERYDAY cuz its the only thing he will eat. Its not healthy, obviously for him to eat crap all day but thats all he'll eat. So my question is for you moms with the SUPER picky eaters what do you do?? Do you offer something and if he/she doesnt eat it do make them something else? Do you continue to make something different until you find something they'll eat? Or do you just pull the old 'if you dont eat this you eat nothing' card? Im sure I can speak for a lot of people when I say I cant afford to be throwing food out like its nothing. And I surely cant afford to restock my cabinets and fridge every 2 days!!! Im lost! And soooooo ready to be over this stage!!!

dylansmom2008 responded:
I honestly know how it is. My son will not touch vegetables or fruits. He will eat chicken though. What I do is cut up the chicken into little pieces and put ketchup on the side. Of course he would rather eat spaghetti O's or chicken nuggets everyday .. I get frustrated because I feel he doesnt eat enough.. He does eat a lot of yogurt and applesauce.. Have you tried cut up chicken with sauce on side?

ryanandleigh responded:
DS is 5 and has always been a picky eater (so the stage can be a LONG one). He will eat chicken and fries every day if I let him. He also eats pasta (but no mac and cheese) and cheddar broccoli rice. And of course hot dogs, jelly sandwiches and cereal. For lunch, I usually ask him what he wants and then serve that. For dinner, he can either eat what we are having (not likely) or choose a hot dog, jelly sandwich or bowl of cereal. I refuse to make him his own meal. (None of those items take longer than 30 seconds to make.) I would make the rule that if he asks for something, then he has to eat it. I agree with you on the hating to waste thing. DD does that because she will ask for something and then not want it. Drives me crazy but I have gotten where I won't give her anything else if she doesn't eat the first thing.
Leigh, Jacen (5), Alexa (2)

An_222788 replied to ryanandleigh's response:
DS wont eat any veggies either. The only fruit he will eat is manderin oranges and grapes. Bananas and apples on occasion. He just turned 2 in January so he cant always tell me what he wants to eat. Although some things are within his reach in the fridge and cabinets he can pull some things out. Like the peanut butter and stuff. He'll eat corn dogs on a stick (not the mini ones or regular hot dogs!) He'll lick the peanut butter and jelly off the bread and wont eat the bread! Same for grilled cheese! Eats the cheese and leaves the bread! I have tried sauces with chicken...he used to LOVE ketchup but not so much anymore. Ive tried bbq and honey mustard. He likes honey mustard but he'll just lick it off the plate and leave the chicken! Even if I toss it in it! He'll eat pastas on occasion. Its not a guarenteed thing. And he wont eat any pastas that have veggies in them!!! He does eat healthy cereals and he likes his pop tarts! And he WILL eat ANYTHING sweet!!! Of course! BOY I HAVE ONE PICKY EATER!!! I hate this stage! And dread it lasting many years!!

jan21baby replied to ryanandleigh's response:
Sorry didnt mean to post that anonomously!

lenono97 responded:
I have a picky eater. Mostly, I feed her what I know she will eat. Yes, it ends up being a rotation of mac&chesse, plain pasta, and hot dogs. But I believe calories are just as important as nutrition right now. I think she is a little on the small side. I have talked with the pedi about her eating habits and have never been given any reason to be concerened, so I try not to worry. She loves most fruits and is good with dairy. Won't touch most meat or veggies. My DD is the same with bread. Will like off the PB but not touch the bread! I just keep offering and yesterday she did actually eat a few bites of the bread. I offer in small portions. That way if I have to throw it away, it's not much. I also hate to waste food! I give her what I know she will eat for breakfast and lunch because I am just feeding her. For dinner, she is offered what we eat (within reason). If she doesn't touch it, I try not to offer another choice. I want her to learn to eat what is offered. I know she will not starve.

mariecc_14 replied to lenono97's response:
I tried giving DD the fruit or veggies first and then the stuff i know she likes to eat after she eats some first stuff. I am not below bribing her with a small peice of candy if she eats most of the food on the plate. I try not to offer anything else for dinner either; but i don't push the issue if she does not want to eat so its not a power struggle. she needs to learn to try new things and she gets rewarded with praise and a small treat if she does.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'm right there with you ladies having a picky eater. Recently, I've started to have my daughter choose one vegetable and one thing that she "wants" with her meal. I fix her plate with a smaller portion of the "wanted" item (ex. buttered noodles). Of course, she eats the noodles all up quickly and asks for more, hungry and loving the taste, but I won't allow seconds until some chicken and vegetables are eaten. I also remind her that she chose the veggie herself for me to cook. After a few bites of the healthier items, she is allowed more noodles.

I also like to remind my daughter that veggies and protein will make her grow and she better not get taller than me?!? (I joke, hehe) She laughs and says, "Oh yes I will!" and usually throws a couple of bites of veggies in to beat mommy. I make my "Oh No!" face and sometimes she keeps eating. :)

Good luck to us all!
Best Wishes! Amelia

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 41year mummy to a gorgeous daughter born 11/12/2008. August 2010 I had brain surgery to repair 2 unruptured aneurysms. I love being a stay a...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.