Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ideas for Easter baskets this year??
Jackie03291 posted:
Anyone have any creative ideas for Easter baskets this year for a 2.5 year old? I have not even started yet, but I do try to stay away from candy as much as possible. She will usually get one small candy treat or something sweet and then I try to make the rest of the stuff little goodies/toys/crafts/etc. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Also, here is a great idea that I love to share with parents of young kids that we usually do for Easter egg hunts, is instead of filling the eggs up with candy, we always fill them up with blueberries. A healthy alternative to junk food!

Can't wait to hear what suggestions you guys have!
Jackie (26) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08

sarahann1978 responded:
I haven't really started yet either, but have been thinking about it. Like your blueberry idea I was thinking of putting mini-marshmallows into eggs. They seem like they should have less sugar than straight up candy, but I don't know. DS doesn't like blueberries, but maybe I could come up with another fruit.

I was thinking of trying to get DS some tub toys. I don't allow squirters in the bath after I read a Today article where they tested them and found they harbor bad bacteria, and he is getting bored with all of his current tub toys. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of options out there though.

I will probably also get some kind of bubble blower. DS is really into bubbles, so much so that I get light headed blowing bubbles for him. He can kind of blow them, but not very good so he always wants me to do it.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

Jackie03291 replied to sarahann1978's response:
Yeah, I saw that on the news too about the bath squirter toys, so GROSS!! Ours definitely went in the garbage after that! I almost cut them open to take a peek, but I knew that I couldn't stomach it if they were gross, so I just threw them out.

Great idea for the bubble blower! Ava loves bubbles too, but still isn't that great at blowing, thanks!
Jackie (26) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Love this post, Jackie! I usually do jelly beans in some and others with toy jewelry, stickers, and quarters to go in her piggy bank. Maybe popcorn would be a good one as long as it doesn't get wet? My daughter also loves boiled eggs (minus the yolk), so I'm lucky that it is a treat to her!

@ Sarah - I had to throw away almost ALL of our tub toys due to mold growing in them. One day, I was shaking a squirt toy and heard something inside it. I held that toy and all of the rest up to the overhead light and could see tons of black mold inside most of them. Some things I run through the dishwasher, but others I just trash and start over! Yuck!
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

earleyml1012 responded:
I got DD a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse mini back-pack that comes with 2 or 3 different games. It's more for a 3 yr old but she's really into games even if she doesn't completely understand the rules. I also got her a beach towel and one other thing that I can't think of right now. I've told all of our parents no candy but we'll see how that goes. DD only gets M&Ms and that's only for doing "chores." I like the bubble blower idea too! DD is very much into bubbles so that would be nice to have.

miob responded:
DS is getting one candy item (M&Ms), Gerber fruit strips, a t-shirt with a picture of the dog, bubbles and a t-ball set. I like getting outdoors things for him for Easter. The bubbles will be a big hit.

That was supposed to be it - but DH went into the Disney store and went crazy on Cars stuff - some cars, a playmat with pull back cars.... He doesn't normally get involved with the easter basket (or Christmas stocking stuffers), so I was just happy to see him get excited over it.

As for the easter egg hunt, we always did jelly bean hunts instead. And I hate jelly beans. It was more of a competition to see who could find the most and see what the strangest places they could be hidden in! Always a favorite memory from childhood. My grandparents always used to hide our Easter Baskets, too.

eliguns841984 responded:
I've picked up a few things here and there for DS but I'm trying not to get too crazy with the candy. Last Easter he LITERALLY received 10 baskets...I'm not kidding, 10!!! It was a ridiculous amount of candy so I'm not going to add any more to it. So far I have picked up a couple of small super balls (little bouncy balls. Target had some that look like Easter eggs but still bounce-too cute!) I got those egg-shaped bouncy balls in the dollar bins at Target. I got him some pop rocks because he's never had them before too. Last year we got him a bubble blower fan thing, some bunny ears to wear out to lunch after church, and one of those animals that are on a long pole and open and shut their mouths when you pull a trigger so they can pick up eggs. DS still plays with that thing on a weekly basis. You can also add things like sidewalk chalk, little books, stickers, and kid-approved gadgets (DS loves little flashlights and voice recorders that play back).
Noel (26) DH (31) J.T. born 7/23/08 Abram born 11/08/2010

eliguns841984 replied to eliguns841984's response:
oh, and another thing I'm implementing this year...DH is a bit of a pack rat and I struggle to keep it under control and get rid of things. Well, he really has a hard time throwing out old Easter baskets! So starting this year, the Easter basket will be something that you put out to be filled in our house, like a stocking at Christmas. We will re-use the same basket for at least a few years because I'm sick of them collecting up!!!

miob replied to eliguns841984's response:
I started doing the same thing last year! I bought this cute little thing that looks like a toolbox with his name and a picture of a bunny on it. He toted it around for a few weeks and then we put it away until next year. I think I bought it at Personal Creations....

sarahann1978 replied to eliguns841984's response:
Noel I here you on the Easter basket, so I did the same last year, I bought a nice wooden basket and then appliqued a liner to go in it. As he gets older I can change out the liner, but this is his Easter basket for the long haul!

Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

eliguns841984 replied to sarahann1978's response:
that is so cute!!!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
I think that I'm going crazy?!?! Just posted this in the wrong discussion yesterday. What a week!!

@ Sarah - I love the pics! The basket is adorable and so is your little man!!! Thanks so much for sharing with everyone!

Well, it looks like I'm not going to be spending Easter with my LO anymore (which makes me VERY SAD:( ), but wanted to share this idea with you gals and the mamas in the Parenting: 3-Year-Olds Community.

Have you seen the "gravity-free" eggs at the store, yet? I thought it was the best idea ever! The plastic eggs had suction cups and strings on them, so you can hide them on the ceiling, windows, walls, all over!! The originals were kind of pricey, so I was thinking about buying my own suction cups at the dollar store and hot gluing or super gluing them to plastic eggs that I already have from last year. You could also get fishing line, tie a knot and close it in the eggs to hang all over for a "floating" effect. Just wanted to share because I was excited about doing something new for the hunt!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and Happy Easter!
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

amiewaite replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
my son is almost three and i just started his basket.. i got some flash cards from the dollar store..a small bunny and a few toy cars..i also will not do bath toys anymore! i am doing treats but i found suger free suckers..i also bought a small basket ball and bubbles and a sand bucket and shovel..last year has dad had him for easter and bought him about two hundred dollars of stuff so now i feel like i have to bet that to make it a good year but i know i cant afford to so aby cheap ideas to make his basket bigger is greatly apreciated

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im 22 years old and i have a 23 month old little boy. He is the light of my life.

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.