Skip to content
High levels of anxiety
An_222816 posted:
I have been having high levels of anxiety these days...especially involving my DD. Its becoming worse and I dont know what to do. I am always worried of her falling sick especially bec of my negligence. Like if I am not watching over her constamtly be in the park or store or anywhere for that matter even in my house. Inside the house I am constantly worried about bathrooms these days. I always try to keep the toilet lid down at all times but sometimes I forget. For eg today I went to pee in the toilet and I got a phone call ( It was an impt call I was waiting for ) I ran to get it and forgot to put the lid down and flush ( sorry, gross i know ) My DD was brushing her teeth in the same bathroom. I spoke for like 5 mnts and she ran out of the bathroom downstairs...I went back to the bathroom and realised I'd not closed the lid. I felt sick to my stomach just worrying whether my DD put her hand in the toilet or something. I immediately flushed and put the lid down. All the towels had fallen out of the baskets. She was in there for like 2-3 mnts. I am just so anxious and am not able to do anything right now. I am feeling bad that I should have at least closed the lid or flushed...Normally I close the lid and then flush at all times.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon!

Take a deep breath and realize that you are only human! Mamas aren't robots and can't be perfect all of the time. Think of how stressful it would be for our children if we WERE perfect all of time!?! They would feel awful for making mistakes and feel that they were disappointing us at all times.

I'm sure that we have all leaft the toilet lid open or have had our little one pick up a piece of litter and head it straight for the mouth when we didn't notice. It is okay and doesn't mean that you are a bad mother, so please don't give yourself a hard time. You are looking out for your DD and I'm sure doing many other things in the process. Being a parent is wonderful, but very stressful as well! I'm sure that you are a great mama because you do worry and care about your LO. Take it easy and if you have a relative or friend who could maybe come over and help out, I'm sure that you could use a little break. Please go easy on yourself and keep us posted on how your day is going! Take care.
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

momtotan replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Amelia..I feel nice talking with you...You always ease my anxiety Thats why i come here to vent often..a medium where I can talk freely without anyone judging me KWIM? Some might think I am crazy but I am just being over protective abt my DD I guess..

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to momtotan's response:
You are more than welcome! I'm a mama! I get it and DEFINITELY overreact and freak out all of the time over my daughter. I've gotten better as she has gotten older, but it is soooo easy to feel like you are doing everything wrong sometimes, especially when there is a ton on your plate!

BTW, my DD had her first field day this morning at school. I sent her to school in a pink shirt, instead of a yellow shirt as I was supposed to. I felt like the worst mother on the planet!!! I jumped in the car, sped to Target and bought her TWO yellow shirts, so she could pick and we changed on the field. hehehe (She probably wouldn't have even cared if she hadn't had a yellow shirt in the first place!) The madness never ends, but it is all worth it. You are awesome because you care!
Don't forget it!
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

sarahann1978 responded:
I know how you feel, when my DS was little, like just less than one, we were at the grocery store and I was comparing two vitamin packages, but I was standing right there not two feet away from him in the seat of the cart. In the minute that I was reading the bottles he reached his little hand around behind him and stuck his fingers right through the cellophane on a package of raw hamburger and proceeded to whip his hand back around and have his fingers in his mouth before I could react. It all happened SO FAST. I panicked since I have a nephew that nearly died from Ecoli H7 O157. I ran to the meat counter where they had hand sanitizer and wiped it all over DS's hands and arms. Then we went home and I called the ask-a-nurse line to ask about it and she said I could call poison control, but there was likely nothing we could do since they won't treat for a possible infection, we would just have to wait it out. It was a long three weeks waiting and worrying that he would end up sick, but in the end he was fine.

It's hard to be a mom, we can't have eyes on them 24-7. I don't know if you are a person of faith, but I often alleviate some of my stress and anxiety by praying and asking for divine help in his health and safety.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

An_222817 responded:
Momma you need to relax or you're going to have a heart attack. Do you think you never put anything gross in your mouth as a kid? Think of all the germs you've probably eaten in your life. It's natural. You're poor DD is going to be so paranoid as she grows up if she sees you getting upset over a toilet that's been left open. A few germs won't hurt her. I grew up in a very clean/overly protective house and never got sick as a toddler/pre-school child but as soon as I went to school I got sick so much b/c I was never exposed to germs. My DD is in daycare and around so many germs that she's been sick a lot but I think as she gets older she won't be sick as often. We have a dog that licks her in the mouth, we try to stop it but it's not worth stressing myself out over. We just wash her hands before meals and after potty time and calmly remind her that she doesn't put her hands/toys in her mouth. Please try to relax, we don't want you having a heart attack!

An_222818 replied to An_222817's response:
Thank you for all ur replies. I feel much better...

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All. My husband and I have been TTC baby # 2 since July 2010 so we are 17 months of trying. I will say it is much easier having my son now. He i...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.