Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Getting anxious
An_222824 posted:
I was at Walmart fun center with my dd playing there. I saw a green candy ( or something like that ) lying there and I was keeping an eye on her. But for a while I turned my head to talk to someone and when I turned it was gone! Looks like she ate it!!! Now I am getting anxious abt this whole episode. Exactly the thing happened that I was afraid of.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon!

My daughter and I laugh about how gross the scene is on the movie Elf, when he is eating the gum. We've have had many discussions on how it is other peoples' germs and will make you sick, along with being disgusting.

What did she do the other night when we went out for mexican? Take one guess!!! Yes, she pulled her first piece of "stranger gum" out from under the table (at 5 yrs old) and put it in her mouth as she stared at me. Grrrr If she can still talk, breath, be a mess and a sweetheart after that, then you have nothing to worry about.

Don't let your little one give you a heart attack! They are going to do many disgusting things, but luckily they are pretty resilient. Give yourself a break and continue to teach and look out for your LO. I'm sure you are a wonderful mama! Don't forget to take care of you, either!
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

momtotan replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Amelia. You always make me feel better

Something else I wanted to talk...Maybe u can help me here too. My DD brushes or tries to brush her teeth on her own these days and she doesnt want me to be around watching her while doing this. So I have let her a couple of times.

One day I noticed that the toothbrush holder was on the edge of the countertop. Just below is our toilet brush. We always put the toilet lid down so that she doesnt accidentally drop anything in it. So I am not worried abt that. What I am worrying now is that what if she has dropped her toothbrush ( while taking out or puuting back her brush in the holder )and it has fallen on the toilet brush below or the floor and she then put it back without my knowledge? Now I have shifted the holder to the other end of the countertop...just to be safe.

tothebeach4 responded:
Are you by chance obsessive/compulsive or have an irrational fear of germs? I'm not trying to be rude or facetious, but I read through some of your previous posts, as well as this one and it really seems like you're overly paranoid.

You may want to look into seeing a psychiatrist to help with your anxiety issues so that you don't pass your fears onto your daughter.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to momtotan's response:
Now, you have hit my anxiety trigger!! I honestly would not be as worried about the germs on the toothbrush as I would cavities, right now. Yes, it is important to keep your little one's toothbrush clean, but start brushing and flossing her teeth daily as well as take her to a pediatric dentist, if you haven't already.

My daughter's first pediatrician said that it was unnecessary for me to go out of my way to brush my LO's teeth and that she would be fine with her minimal toddler brushing. The first pediatric dental visit that we had, she had 4 CAVITIES and they suggested a ROOT CANAL on top of the fillings! I was so upset with myself and her doctor. However, I did get a second opinion because a root canal seemed mighty harsh. Thousands of dollars on a 4-year-old mouth later, she is smiling beautifully and I'm brushing until she goes to college!

As soon as a toddler's teeth come in, they are ready for a trip to the dentist. You would think that baby teeth are not much of a big deal, but damage and decay to baby teeth can lead to permanent oral problems with the gums, adult teeth and even the jaw. When worried about the toothbrush, I would keep a few handy for those toilet accident moments as well as run her toothbrush under scalding hot water before brushing.

Here is a really great article on 7 Ways to Protect Your Child's Teeth . Please keep me posted and take care of you and that precious little lady!
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

sarahann1978 replied to momtotan's response:
Just a thought, but I put my toilet brush in the closet/cabinet since my DS is a curious kid and I don't want him to mess with it. If I see a potential thing that might be a danger I remove it out of his environment. I know she is not playing with it, but if it concerns you move it somewhere else.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm so blessed to be a SAHM to my DD (2 & 1/2) and a SAHW to my DH. We just got through potty training and lived! Our DD is adopted and we lov...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.