Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Potty training while in daycare
earleyml1012 posted:
So all of my friends with children the same age as DD or either SAHM or have a relative watch their kid while they work, meaning you guys are my only hope for some help!

First, let me say I tried the 3 day potty training camp and it failed for us. So that's not an option to try that.

Ok here goes. In the evenings we've started putting DD in underwear every night. A few times during the evening she'll make a mad dash to the bathroom saying she has to go but won't sit very long on the potty. Then a few minutes later she'll go in her pants. We can't force her to sit there, can we? However, when she's in diapers she'll hardly do this except for BMs. At daycare she's been in diapers 100% of the time and I think she's getting confused that she can go in her pants during the day but at night we are expecting her to try the potty.

So my issue is, do I just start sending her in underwear with a ton of clothes or do I wait until she starts going in the potty at home. I figure the more she's in underwear she'll get it b/c she's actually feeling wet. Those darn diapers/pull-ups she doesn't really even notice.

Any advice would be appreciated!

cyn22mull responded:
I would talk to your daycare and see what they think. I did wait until DS had used the potty at home off and on for a few weeks but once we got going daycare was fine with him being in underware. I took 3 outfits and they did put him in a pull up for naptime.

Each morning on the way to daycare I would ask him What do you have on? and he would say underware, I would also ask him what do you do if you have to go pee or poop? and he would say tell my teachers.

At home do you have a potty chair or does she sit on the big toliet?
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3

cyn22mull responded:
You could try letting her have a book while she is on the potty or a small toy? Maybe that would help her sit there longer. We have a basket in the bathroom with some books for DS.

I will admit there was more than one time I would sit in there on the floor with him and read to him while he sat on the potty :-)
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3

sarahann1978 responded:
I agree with Cindy that I would talk to the daycare. We recently switched DS from an in-home daycare to a learning center and they aren't set up for diapers. I talked to the Director because we had not started PTing at all and he said since they had plenty of teachers to kids that they would work on it with him. He has been going there like 3 weeks now and they say he stays dry all day and only hasn't figured out to poop on the potty.

At home it is a whole other story, we put him in underpants, but it does not matter. He refuses to sit on the potty and just does his business in his pants. The only thing I have had luck with was one day I tried bringing the potty in the living room and letting him sit on it while playing computer games. He just sat there long enough that he pee'd in the potty. I can't figure out why he hates the potty so much at home, but figure if he gets it down pat at daycare that eventually it will carry over at home too.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Amanda and I am an Air Force wife with a 2 year old son named John Kenneth. We are currently stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ. ...More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.