Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What shows are banned in your home? (News Article)
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
I remember when the Simpsons were the worst thing for kids to watch on t.v.! Wow, things have changed....According to a new study , "Many parents believe that current rating systems are inaccurate and need to be improved.."

What shows are banned in your home? Do you strictly follow media ratings or find that they are way too unreliable to keep your LOs from inappropriate content?
Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.  ~Elizabeth Stone

magsnemma responded:
Check out the documentary, "This Film is not yet Rated." It's a documentary about film ratings and how artificial they are. Granted, this is TV shows, so a little different, but I don't imagine much different.

As for me personally, I try to use common sense and watch with DD if something might be questionable. Generally I don't watch Sponge Bob, mostly because I can't stand it. We stick to shows on Disney Jr and Nick Jr or watch movies. DD doesn't watch a ton of TV at this point though, but I tend to decide for myself rather than rely too heavily on tv rating systems.
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

earleyml1012 responded:
We don't really let DD watch much tv, so I don't know what the ratings are. The only thing DD watches is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and every so often we'll let her watch a movie (Finding Nemo, Tangled, etc.)

jlynnpaine responded:
We dvr some cartoons for DD, then skip through the commercials. She also watches Mickey Mouse Club and some Disney movies. I wouldn't say anything is actually banned, but we're just careful about what we let her watch and make sure that it's age appropriate.

sarahann1978 responded:
I feel like at this point we don't have to because DS is too young to care about any show that is not a cartoon. We limit what he does watch more so because we don't want him to watch a lot of TV. Often DH will have the TV on in the evening and DS will be busy playing with toys, outside with me or in his room and could care less about what is on.

On one hand I get censorship, but then on the other hand I think sometimes "forbidding" something only leads to more curiosity. I know as a kid I was raised pretty conservatively in a Catholic home, and was way more interested in seeing the things my Mom would forbid. Specifically I remember all my friends got to see the movie Dirty Dancing and she would not let me see it. I could not wait until I was old enough to see it on my own. Yes it had adult content and themes, but had she let me watch it and talked to me about it maybe it would not have appealed to me at all.

Same for my brother, he would not allow my nephews to watch the Simpson's and it made my nephews want to watch it that much stronger. My brother finally asked me if there was a bad/flop episode that the kids wouldn't even like so he could show it to them and be able to say "see you aren't missing much."

And sometimes I think you can only protect your kids so much, and if they end up seeing something questionable, I would rather I be there to explain and talk to them about it, versus them hiding the fact that they saw something forbidden behind my back and are then confused.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

cyn22mull responded:
We dont really ban anything right now as DS usually will not sit still long enough to watch TV. Sometimes on the weekends I will turn on the disney cartoon but he does not watch much right now.
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3

transcriber87 responded:
I have banned Family Guy! I had never watched it and by boyfriend at the time loves that show and has all the DVD's it seems. Well he brought it over one evening thinking since it was a cartoon, it would be OK...well OMG! They cuss in that show and everything so I have banned it from TV while Cadance is around!

leftcoastgirl replied to sarahann1978's response:
Sarahann, I wasn't allowed to see Dirty Dancing either!!!! I think I was 12 when it came out, and it was pretty popular in the slumber party circuit. I think I finally managed to see it at a friend's house when I was 13 or so.

We don't have any banned shows, but DH and I have started watching shows like True Blood after LO goes to sleep. I'm really most concerned about her seeing violence on TV, so we'll change the channel if it seems like any show is getting intense. (DH is a big fan of military shows on the History Channel, so it does happen somewhat frequently.)
Me (34), DH (34), DD (2)

sarahann1978 replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
Yeah, the slumber party circuit, that is exactly the kind of situation I was referring to when I mentioned about the kids seeing something behind your back. If other parents allow it, or don't censor slumber parties, and your kid does not tell you, then they could be really confused. I know in high school, in my early teen years, I was doing a group trip away from my parents and saw Silence of the Lambs. My parents would have never allowed me to watch that in a million years. I think it took me many years to wrap my head around what all went on in that movie because I was so sheltered and it was just disturbing! Of course, I'm not sure there is a good way for a parent to explain that one, LOL!
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

eliguns841984 replied to transcriber87's response:
OMG I can't believe he even thought for a minute that would be ok for a kid! I LOVE Family Guy, but it is, in my opinion, one of the most envelope-pushing shows on TV and is NOT appropriate for children! That show brings everything questionable to the table...profanity, sexual content, racism, sexual discrimination, vulgarity, gore, gross-ness....the list goes on and on. Did I mention I love that show? LOL. It's one of my favorites, but it's too much at times even for me!
Noel (26) DH (31) J.T. born 7/23/08 Abram born 11/08/2010

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm so blessed to be a SAHM to my DD (2 & 1/2) and a SAHW to my DH. We just got through potty training and lived! Our DD is adopted and we lov...More

Helpful Tips

2 1/2 yr old Will Not Eat Regular Food
My 2 1/2 yr old grandson will not eat regular food for lunch or diner. He only wants baby food. We have tried puree the food, putting it in ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.