Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fruits and Veggies
cyn22mull posted:
Does your DC like fruits and veggies?
Do they eat a variety of them or a select few?
What, if anything do you put on them to help them eat fruits and veggies?

DS is not fond of his fruits and veggies and I am looking for ideas to get him to eat more of a variety. He will eat graps, apples, corn, avacodo, and kidney and pinto beans.
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3

MIOB responded:
DS loves fruits - pretty much anything other than strawberries. Veggies are another story altogether. I always put a little of whatever veggie we're having on his plate and if he eats them, great and if not, oh well. I'm happy enough with the fruit intake. Plus, he loves anything with a red sauce, so sometimes I can sneak in additional veggies by disguising them. This trick works great with quesadillas, too - can hide veggies in the cheese!

earleyml1012 responded:
DD loves almost every fruit that we've given to her besides melons. Veggies is another story. Lately, we've been able to get her to eat raw carrots, cucumbers, and broccoli if we give her ranch dressing to dip it in. Cooked she'll eat carrots, corn, and broccoli but that's all. Sometimes I make a dish with mixed veggies in it (Chicken pot-pie) and if she'll let me feed it to her, I can sneak some peas/green beans in. We're starting to make her atleast try a bite of them but we honestly only eat the mixed veggies, corn, and broccoli with dinners...DH isn't a huge fan of veggies. If I had my way, we'd be eating more of them but it's a start.

magsnemma responded:
DD likes almost every fruit around except pineapple. Right now it's all about watermelon, cherries, nectarines, and strawberries. She's pickier about veggies, although she loves green beans, will eat steamed broccoli and carrots. She has a hard time with peas and corn off the cob though so she tends to give up on those. She likes to dip so we give her ranch and ketchup sometimes, or even hummus.

What about fruit that your DS could hold in his hand and bite? I know that DD likes nectarines because she can hold them and bite into them. It's messy but she likes it. She also likes holding pieces of watermelon. This all happens outside though, otherwise inside would be a sticky mess.
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

cyn22mull responded:
Thanks for all of your thoughts!! Those are great ideas!

I am going to try the raw carrots and cucumber with ranch. DS loves ranch!! I did sneak a bit of lettuce on his taco the other night. Once he saw it he wanted to know why I put salad on his taco :-)

I will also have try the fruits that DS can hold in his hand. I have some banana at home I will see if he wants to dip that in peanut butter and try it.
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3

jlynnpaine responded:
I've not found a fruit that DD doesn't like. Veggies, she doesn't love nearly as much as fruit but she does eat most of them. We always dish up her plate with veggies and often they're the last thing she eats, but she usually does get around to eating them.

I've read in various parenting magazines that giving the veggies names like calling broccoli trees and things like that will help kids to think they're fun and to try them. Also, letting them help prepare the food may get them more interested as well. Maybe he could arrange a veggie tray? Or let him pick out the dipping sauce for them? Shae loves to help make pizzas and lasagna so you could try something like that with veggies in it and let him help.

sarahann1978 responded:
My DS usually does ok with fruit and is pretty stubborn about veggies.

With fruit it is funny, he will go through phases where he will eat a type of fruit like there is no tomorrow, then snub it for a period of time. I try to rotate them and offer more of whatever he will eat at the time. Sometimes presentation matters too, like I was chopping up watermelon into bite sized pieces and he would not touch it. One night I was in a hurry and figured he wouldn't probably eat it anyway, so I just sliced it and left the rind on for DH and I, and DS loved it and ate it all down to the rind! His all time favorites seem to be mango and kiwi. He has never really cared for apples.

For veggies he will occasionally try some, but doesn't ever eat them great. I also do the marinara sauce trick. My son will snub green beans, but put eggplant parmigiana in front of him and he will clean the plate!

I figure if I always serve them he has the option to eat them and we of course encourage it all we can. I hope some day he develops a better taste for veggies.

Cindy- I can't do the lettuce sneaking trick either, I have actually had him pull food out of his mouth to dig a snuck-in piece of lettuce out!
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother to 3 wonderful boys. Doug, Aaron and Josh are the lights of my life. Aaron and Josh are our miracles. After we had Doug we were told w...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.