2-year-old's behavior in grocery store
QTpie2009 posted:
My DS used to be great when I would take him grocery shopping with me. Lately though he is just getting out of control. While in the cart he keeps turning around and grabbing everything out of the basket and ripping it open. So I thought maybe he needed a snack. So I gave him a snack but after that was gone he does the same thing. He yells No! all the way through the store at me and swats at me and kicks me. He unbuckles the safety strap and tries to climb all over. I usually grab him firmly and look him in the eyes and tell him you don't do (whatever it is he is doing) and please be a good boy. What do you guys do when your toddler is misbehaving in the store??
Me (27), DH (30), Kayden Riley born 06/09/09

eliguns841984 responded:
I started making him stay home with DH when I went for a while and he got upset because he likes going to the store. So I told him he could come but he had to behave, and if I had any issues we would leave our stuff and go right home. And some will disagree with me, but if DS cannot behave himself in a public place, I will swiftly and quietly take him to a bathroom or the car and swat his butt. I've only had to do it twice, and it usually drives the point home. Usually just the threat of it will get him in line, but I had to do it once or twice so he knew I meant it when I said it.
Noel (26) DH (31) J.T. born 7/23/08 Abram born 11/08/2010

earleyml1012 responded:
Most of the time DD is great in the store. However, when we have to go to WalMart and know we're going to be in a little longer than a regular grocery shopping trip we offer her a treat if she's good. Then during the shopping trip if she starts acting up, we'll remind her that if she isn't good then she won't be getting a special treat. We usually let her pick it out. I think it gives her something to look forward to.

We went to an amusement park last weekend and she threw the worst tantrum I've ever seen. So after sitting her in "time-out" didn't work, I threatened taking her home and that worked like a charm. So I just try to think on the fly sometimes.

cyn22mull responded:
Most of the time DS is good in stores. I try to make it fun. On the way to the store I talk it up about how he needs to be a big boy and help me in the store. For items that wont break I give it to him and let him put it in the cart. Sometimes I get one of the produce bags, tie a knot in the middle so he cant put things in and let him play with that. I usually let him help put stuff on the checkout counter. If its not crowded we "race" in the buggy down the isle. He thinks its fun when I walk fast. In the past I have also told him that if he is good he can pick out one special treat....I usually give him a choice goldfish, graham crackers something like that. Sometimes I will go to a different grocery store just to give him a little variety.
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3

magsnemma responded:
I pick her up and leave the store. I try to leave the cart with an employee and let them know I'll be back for it. I've only done that once and luckily she calmed down pretty quickly. Once she threw a tantrum outside an REI in the freezing cold. That was awful because people were staring and it was 0 degrees outside. I just stood not facing her but sort of blocking her from the people staring and waited her out.

Generally I just don't bring her grocery shopping with me if I can avoid it. It's easier for all of us and that way I don't have to rush through it. I try to bring her with me on the short trips where we can be slow and look at the balloons or flowers.
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

QTpie2009 responded:
Thanks everyone. Those are good ideas. I will try them out this Friday when we go grocery shopping :)
Me (27), DH (30), Kayden Riley born 06/09/09

sarahann1978 responded:
I like all the suggestions given so far and also for us I think timing is the key. Like yesterday, I had the day off from work so I took DS swimming. I wanted to drop by the store to pick up a few things on our way home, but it was at nap time. DS threw a huge tantrum because he wanted a cookie and did not want to sit in the cart. Usually neither of those things sets him off, but he was very tired and ready for a nap.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)