Skip to content
Help! Two year old always has the urge to pee
An_222832 posted:
Hello Everyone,

My two year old was recently potty trained and has been doing really well with it. However, over the last couple of days, he tells me he needs to go to the potty every 10 minutes or so. He'll sit down, but either he won't pee at all or he'll only pee a drop or two. We're thinking he has a UTI or bladder infection, but he doesn't have any other symptoms (no fever, no belly pain or pain while urinating).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

magsnemma responded:
Not saying it's not a UTI or bladder infection because I have zero experience with that. BUT, I can offer advise on a possible alternative. My DD loves to tell me that she has to pee or poop because I will drop what I'm doing to take her. She does it a lot to get my attention. I don't know if that's what's going on with you guys, but that's a common experience in my house. We also have lots of false alarms when it's time to poop. I can tell she needs to but isn't quite ready yet. It's like a warning system. :)
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

NewMamma2Be replied to magsnemma's response:
I think you may have hit it right on the nose! When DS sits on the potty, he loves to play around and make a big deal of it. He may just be trying to get some extra attention. The little stinker! :p

Thank you!!

earleyml1012 responded:
We are going through this same thing right now. On Friday daycare told me that within an hour, DD asked to go potty 9 times and either didn't go or went just a tiny bit so they thought UTI. I took her to the doctor since it was a Friday and they asked me to bring back a urine sample the next day since DD wouldn't do it there. I did and in the meantime they did put her on an antibotic just incase. Well today I get a call that her urine looks fine. I think like Ali said, she mostly does this before she has a BM b/c she doesn't want to sit long enough. Also, I think she asks to go a lot when she's bored. When we are at the park or pool, she holds it the entire time we are there but when we are home she'll ask to go a million times. If he's not crying in pain when he goes and doesn't have a fever, it's probably not an infection. These kids are stinkers when it comes to getting attention! Plus DD knows she gets a jelly bean everytime she pees, so maybe she's trying to go more just to get one!

sarahann1978 replied to magsnemma's response:
We went to eat at a restaurant the other night and DS went to potty once for real and discovered they have an automatic hand soap dispenser that he thought was the coolest thing ever. He kept asking to go potty and when we got there of course all he wanted to do was wash hands. After three trips to the bathroom we finally told him no he couldn't go, and I was so afraid that he would then have an accident, but he never did.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 41year mummy to a gorgeous daughter born 11/12/2008. August 2010 I had brain surgery to repair 2 unruptured aneurysms. I love being a stay a...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.