3 chicken breasts, shredded
1 can of tomato sauce
1 bottle or can of beer
2 cans of corn
2 cans of kidney beans
1 can of black beans
2 cans of Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1/2 cup of taco seasoning

I cook it on low for 10 hours. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and corn chips.

I have a really big crockpot, so if it wouldn't all fit in yours, you can cut out 1 can of corn and 1 can of kidney beans.

sarahann1978 responded:
That sounds SO GOOD!!!

When you say "chicken breasts, shredded" do you mean it's pre-cooked chicken that you add, do you cut up the raw chicken into pieces, or add the raw chicken breasts, cook, then shred before serving?
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

cyn22mull responded:
Thanks!! That does sound good. I am going to try it next week. I have a 6qt crock pot so I will probably have to cut it back some.
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3

jlynnpaine replied to sarahann1978's response:
You can do the chicken a few ways. I used to buy rotisserie chickens from Costco, then shred them up and freeze them. That way I could just pull a bag out anytime I needed them. Lately, I've gotten lazy and I've started putting frozen chicken breasts in my crock pot with a little bit of broth and cooking them all day, then shredding them up and freezing a whole bunch. Last week when I made it, I put three breasts in the crock pot the night before with broth and cooked it till morning, then shredded it all up and added all the other ingredients and cooked it all day. My poor crock pot got quite the workout that day. :)

sarahann1978 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
I don't think cooking your own sounds lazy, I think it's probably healthier because I bet they add a lot of salt to the rotisserie ones.

I think I will try your recipe, but just add raw chicken breasts to the ingredients, and shred them up before eating it.

That's very true about the salt in the rotisserie chicken. Let me know how you like it. I cut up corn tortillas and fry them up into chips with a bit of sea salt to go with it. It's one of our favorite meals for sure.

sarahann1978 responded:
YUM, YUM, YUM this soup is delicious Jlynn!

I commented at dinner last night that I really liked it and DH goes "yes it's good, please do make it again"

I added frozen raw chicken breasts straight in with the rest of the ingredients and let it cook all day and it was awesome. When I went to scoop out the chicken to shred it, it was falling apart and hard to get my fork into it without it breaking apart. It was melt in your mouth tender.

cyn22mull replied to sarahann1978's response:
Hi Sarah...How big is your crock pot? Did you have to cut anything back? I have it on my plan for next week but I only have a 6qt crock pot so I am not sure it will all fit!
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3

sarahann1978 replied to cyn22mull's response:
I do have a pretty big crock pot, I'm not sure of the actual number it holds. I think it's medium sized when it comes to crocks, there are bigger ones, but it is bigger than all others I have owned. I did modify the recipe a little though. Here is what I added:

2 frozen raw chicken breasts (there was a good amount of chicken in it from this)
1 can black beans
1 can dark kidney beans
1 can tomatoes with chiles
1 can regular tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce (I added a small one, but should have been a big can)
1 can bud light
some frozen corn (I was out of cans of corn)
I didn't have any "taco seasoning" on hand so I added some chile powder, paprika, garlic powder, ground cumin and Mexican Oregano.
When I got home from work I took out the chicken breasts and shredded them up and added them back in.

I would say add one can of the things that call for two cans and see how much your crock will hold. I think the beans more add to the texture than flavor, so if you omit some of them it wouldn't hurt the overall flavor.

I could have added the other can of beans and the third chicken breast to my crock and it would have been fine, I just didn't want to make such a huge batch and be eating this soup the rest of the week. Although after I tasted it, I might be able to eat it for a week straight, it is yummy! I also served with sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla chips and I added sliced olives on top too. If you were into them chopped onion or cilantro would be good on top too.

So glad you liked it! I love that you can adjust the recipe to fit your likes and needs. We tend to make a huge crockpot full and then freeze a big tupperware container so that we can just take it out one day and heat it up again.

earleyml1012 responded:
This does sound good. One question though. We don't drink and I'm pretty sure you can't just buy one can of beer, so what could I subsitute?

Mavericksmom replied to earleyml1012's response:
u can always substitute beer for chicken broth or even h2o

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im 22 years old and i have a 23 month old little boy. He is the light of my life.

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.