Skip to content
Taking showers
QTpie2009 posted:
My DH works 2nd shift and I work 1st shift. So, I care for DS all by myself during the week and sometimes on the weekends if DH is working overtime. During the week taking a shower is not a problem because I take a shower then wake DS up and get him ready. On the weekends, however, when I try to take a shower DS wants to get in with me so I usually let him. (I feel he's safer in there with me than running around getting into things while I'm in the shower) I know I should probably stop this soon but what are your suggestions to keep him occupied so he won't want in the shower with me. All you single moms out there... what do you do to get a shower by yourself?? Thanks.
Me (27), DH (30), Kayden Riley born 06/09/09

MIOB responded:
I usually just plop DS in front of the tv in the living room. Our house is pretty much DS-proof, so it's not a problem for him to be out there by himself. I leave the door open (and I don't use the fan like I'm supposed to so I can hear him - but don't tell DH that!). He wanders in occasionally, but otherwise occupies himself in the other room. The other option we have is to put him in his room which has a gate - if the living room wasn't safe for him, that's where he'd be.

magsnemma responded:
I do the same thing as you so I am probably not much help. When I take a shower, DD usually ends up in there with me. Sometimes I'll wait until snack time and bring her snack with us into the bathroom. Our bathroom is open to the bedroom though so it's not as gross as it might sound. Also, bandaids.My kid is obsessed and those keep her busy enough so that I can take a quick shower.
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

earleyml1012 responded:
This doesn't happen for me to often. However, when I am home alone with DD and need to take a shower I either have her bring some toys into the bathroom or let her watch TV in the livingroom. She's a great kid though and I've never had to worry about her getting into things. When I do let her stay in the livingroom I keep the bathroom door open and don't turn the fan/radio on like I normally do. The first few times that I had her in the bathroom, she wanted in the shower with me but I just told her no. She was a little upset but got over it...I'm sure your DS will too!

lanena2632 responded:
I'm a single mom. My kiddo is soon to be 2 in September. Even though my living room is babyproof, I NEVER leave him alone. He can climb on the couches, jump and fall or trip over any of his toys and I would never know. It's just not safe to leave the baby alone. The one thing that always works for me when I need to take a shower is to put him inside a play yard/playpen with toys, outside of the bathroom. Leave the bathroom door open so you can still see your toddler and he can still hear you talking to him. Works like a charm. :) Hope this helps.

MIOB replied to lanena2632's response:
It may be a difference in age. My DS is almost 3 (next month). The difference in DS at almost 2 is like night and day from almost 3. He's now perfectly fine in a room alone. He's a pro at climbing on the couch and he knows better thank to try to jump off it. He's also the most cautious child you've ever met (almost to a fault). All of those things combined have lead to our routine which has worked out great for us. You really need to assess where your own child is at and find what works for you.

Healthymother1 responded:
I usually prop my little one in living room with his favorite DVD or show ..and half of the time he would just walk to where i am at and watch me take a shower! Either one will do the trick!

cruise_control1 responded:
I usually put my DD in her high chair at the bathroom door where she is angled to watch tv, but I leave the bathroom door and shower door open so I can randomly stick my head out the shower door to see what she is doing. My trick for her is using the ON DEMAND channels, she loves a cartoon called super why, so I pop on an episode for her and she watches from her high chair....I havent had any problems because she knows I am right there and she can watch her show at the same time. But I would be too afraid to leave her in another room alone because I would fear her getting chocked on something or anything so I always make sure she is in eye and earshot.
Me(37), DH(39), DD(2)6/2/09; DS-EDD 9/26/11

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am married to an incredible man, Dustin and we have a wonderful son Austin who was born in January 2009. I have been coming to the WebMD site since ...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.