Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Grandparent vent
earleyml1012 posted:
I'm so grateful to have parents close by who can watch DD while DH and I go out. However, yesterday my mom made me mad. So DH and I were gone from 9am to 7pm to drive to the city to see an off Broadway show and I left keys to our other car for my parents to take DD out for lunch. They took her to a local dinner and she had chicken nuggets and french fries. We normally get her a fruit option instead of fries, no biggie they didn't know. Well I asked what did she have for dinner and mom said that her and dad weren't hungry so they didn't make her anything. They just gave her grapes, chocolate pudding, and mini cupcake!!!! WHAT?!? There was leftover pizza and salad in the refrigerator they could've give her or even made a sandwich. I get it, they are grandparents and can "spoil" her but how about something healthy to eat during the day?!? When I said, "So you gave her junk." My mom responded with the grapes are healthy and the pudding was made with your skim milk. Ok, yeah but what about all the sugar found in ALL of those?!?

I just don't get it. I know she's trying hard to get DD to like her b/c my grandparents weren't there for us but that doesn't mean you can make her unhealthy! Also, when I was growing up there's no way she would've let us eat that for dinner and would've been annoyed if someone else fed that to me. Why is it that just b/c they are grandparents now all common sense goes out the window?!? Sorry I needed to vent!

jlynnpaine responded:
I understand your frustration. My parents do similar things and it drives me nuts. For example, my mom insists that DD needs juice for vitamins, when the kid practically eats her weight in fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. It makes me want to scream.

Maybe next time you have them watch her, make sure you tell them what's in the fridge, and offer a few suggestions of what they can fix her for meals and snacks.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

Mybaby83 responded:
My parents do the same thing! They always give my daughter pancakes and yogurt for lunch or dinner because "she likes them". Well yeah mom, she likes a lot of things. They would have never allowed us to eat like that when we were young! They just want her to be happy I suppose. They figure it couldn't hurt them if it's occaisonal. Still, it is very annoying!

sarahann1978 responded:
I tried posting this already, but it seems to have disappeared, so if it double posts, sorry!

To give you a little perspective, FIL was visiting this weekend and told DH that his paternal grandfather once offered him a sip of a whiskey drink when he was a toddler. I was shocked and told my mom about it yesterday and she said when my eldest brother was a toddler they were up in the mountains and he was really thirsty and they didn't have any water or milk so they put a little beer in his bottle to give him a drink. I guess they were a little more hardcore then just fries and pudding back then!
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, Im Carol, Mom of 5 wonderful kids: Douglas 12, Veronica 10, Leanna 7(all 3 straight A students), Chelsea 5 (starting Kindergarten soon), and Da...More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.