Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do you keep your kids cool in their carseat?
sdadkin posted:
I have a 2 year old and 3 month old and they get so hot in their carseats during the summer especially. They are usually sweating by the time I drive from daycare to home (which is a 5-10 min drive) even though I have the A/C on full blast. Do they make any kind of fans or anything that you can attach to the seat? Although that could be kind of dangerous I guess. I just feel so bad for my boys!

MIOB responded:
I'm definitely spoiled in that I have a remote car starter. I originally bought it due to the harsh New England winters and wanted to get into a warm car, but I find myself using it more and more in the summer. About 5-10 minutes before we go, I start up the truck. Horrible for gas mileage, but one of the small luxuries I grant myself - totally worth it for me!

sdadkin replied to MIOB's response:
I actually have a remote start too. I use it all of the time, but it seems like the air doesn't really get to the back seat. Or maybe his carseat attracts a lot of heat because it is a dark gray color? I'm not sure, but I hate to see him all sweaty.

lenono97 replied to sdadkin's response:
Not sure what kind of a car you have, but mine has a separate control in the back seat for the air/heat. Is it possible it's not on or turned down? The only reason I say that is because I put my hand in front of the back vents just last week and realized nothing was coming out.

jlynnpaine responded:
I wish I had good suggestions for you. My poor DD gets pretty warm too. I try to keep her dressed as lightly as I can and crank the A/C up on high. If we're going anywhere during the hottest part of the day, we start the car ahead of time and get it cooled off as much as possible. I wish we had rear A/C. That would be a life saver.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
I've actually seen some soft to the touch, child-safe, battery-operated fans that are made of foam. These might work (with caution to getting hair caught) as well as covering the seat with a towel or sheet when you get your little one out of the car. Then, when you put him back in, the sun won't have been beating directly on the chair.

Another idea is to bring a cold pack along on car rides. I have one of the long cotton neck wraps and my daughter and I actually take turns wearing it around the house. It feels awesome!!

Good luck!
Amelia
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

sarahann1978 responded:
Have you tried different settings on your AC, like in my car I think the defrost mode blows to the back seat better than the straight fans that hit the front seats better. Also, have you had your AC charged recently? Maybe it will help the performance.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a mother of a 2 year old little boy and he is my world i am a stay at home mom. He is always sick the doctors are still trying to figure it out.

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.