Skip to content
Dentist
cyn22mull posted:
I know I posted this before but its been awhile and I am old and cant remember the response's! I finally broke down and made an apt. for Oct. 5th at a pediartic dentist. No offense to any dentist's that may be on here....but I really do not like the dentist and I have been putting it off for DS.

Have you taken your LO to the dentist yet?

How did it go?

Did you go to a regular dentist or a pediartic dentist?
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3

Jackie03291 responded:
Ha ha Cindy this is funny that you posted this because I too HATE going to the dentist and I have been putting it off for Ava as well and I litterally just made her her first appointment for the end of this month with a pediatric dentist! LOL

I knew that I wanted her to go to a pediatric dentist and I think that it will probably go ok, but we will have to update after our appointments! I plan on getting a couple of books from the library about going to the dentist and reading them together a couple of days before she goes.
Jackie (26) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08

magsnemma responded:
I took DD to the pediatric dentist because she fell and her tooth turned grey. It went horribly, mostly because I spent my time with DD pinning her arms to her side so they cook take X-rays, and then again when the dentist checked her teeth. It was kind of one big guilt trip, but whatever.

Here are some of the things that she told me:

*I should've taken DD when she got her first tooth.
*Goldfish crackers are the devil.
*Juice should be given at meals, if at all, because the food helps break up the sugars and helps it not to stick to their teeth.
*Pinning DD to the floor and holding her while brushing her teeth isn't going to traumatize her.

I know they're just doing their job, although I sort of thought some of the things were a little eye-roll worthy, but she seemed professional. Hopefully when DD goes back in 6 months, it'll be a little easier. I liked going to the dentist until I got my first cavity as an adult. Now I don't like it anymore.
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

ryanandleigh responded:
I took DD when she was 20 months old. I made her appt because that is when I took DS in to the dentist. He was 4 1/2 at the time. Both did great on their first visits and DD has done great on all other visits -even allowing x-rays on the sides which DS let them do finally at this last visit (he is 6 now). We go to a pediatric dentist.
Leigh, Jacen (6), Alexa (3)

sarahann1978 responded:
I keep putting it off for DS because the closest Pediatric dentist is over 60 miles away and I'm sure after sitting in the car that long he will be in quite the mood for the dentist. I have decided though that we are waiting to hear on a job any day now, so once I know the outcome of it I will either make an appointment for him if we don't get the job, or if we do I will postpone it a couple more months and do it after we move. That way I avoid the long drive, and all of his records are with the dentist we will be going to for several years.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

earleyml1012 responded:
We took DD to the dentist for the first time almost 6 months ago (she was around 27 months) and she did GREAT. It was actually DH's appointment but they recommended that we bring her along to "watch" him get his teeth clean. I actually had to give DH a lecture before we got there for him to stay calm and not make any faces b/c he HATES the dentist. Well after he was finished the hygentist asked DD if she wanted her teeth cleaned too. She said yes, so they had her sit on DH's lap. The hygentist was great at explaining the different tools and gave them funny names, DD loved this. While cleaning they noticed she had a cavitity due to her enamel not forming properly, so we had to take her to a pediatric dentist two weeks later. They were super impressed at how well she did b/c they didn't have to numb her or give her "special juice" to make her loopy. She even sat in the chair all by herself. For her cleanings, we'll be taking her back to the regular dentist since they are in our town and we can schedule all of us to go at the same time. Good luck and I think if you stay calm, your child will be fine too. I personally hate taking DD for shots more than the dentist.

jlynnpaine responded:
Shae's been going every six months since she was just under a year. At her first appointment, they just counted teeth. After she turned a year old, they started doing flouride treatments on her. Her most recent appointment was last Thursday. She did great! Like Sarahann, we have to drive about 70 miles to go to the pediatric dentist, but her and I just made it into a grocery shopping trip and it was good. The last two times, she's sat in the chair by herself and watched a movie (they have a movie playing on a tv directly above the chair) while they check out her teeth and put the fluoride on. Then she got a token to get a prize out of a gumball type machine and had her picture taken for a the wall for everyone who is cavity free.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Laramie, I'm 27 and live in Rochester, NY. I'm happily married to my wonderful husband and I'm a SAHM to our two children. Aust...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.