Skip to content
Son Turning 2
BabyParks posted:
My son is turing 2 in 2 weeks and I am a concerned mommy! We have set him up for an early intervention assessment as his Pediatrician told me to when I told him he was having trouble communicating with me. I knew something wasn't right because most 2 year olds can pretty much say what they want, Am I right? I feel like he just is a little behind or either his speech is causing him problems. He has also had lots of trouble with his ears and tubes and adenoids taken out so I made him an appt. with his ENT for tomorrow to test his hearing again. We are praying it is nothing serious but I am so worried they will diagnose him with something once they try to evaluate him. I have been reading alot about Autism but he is really not showing many signs of that. He does ignore me alot tho so that is why I am worried but he doesn't really do any of the other things like spinning or flapping, ect. He is very hyper active as his daddy is the same way and probably has a touch of ADHD I am pretty sure. But i just hope that is all it is and nothing to be too concerned about since he is just fixing to be 2. He can say things like he looks at the duck and says duck, duck, duck and he says kitty, and ball, and his one sentence is WOW, what was that? He says dog, mama, daddy and things when he wants but nothing on command or acts interested in mimicing what I do or say. He does mimic dance 2 on the wii that his cousins have and can dance just like they do on there but he just isn't able to get out what he wants to say. Those few things he says are when he wants to and the rest is jibberish and I can't make out what he says. I hope it's just speech but any insight would be great. He also knows a lion says roar, cat-meow, dog-ruff, elephant (we do noise and hold our arm up near our nose for his trunk and he does it), monkey says-ooo-ooo-aaaa-aaaa, he will give kisses if I say give mommy a kiss on command and gives high fives on command but that is about all the commands I can get him to do. He won't say drink when thirsty or eat or bite or anything like that, so I get very frustrated on what he wants. He just points and I tell him say what you want and tell him what things are and he still just points and whines. I try to not give him what he wants but he will NOT say it no matter if I give it to him or I don't. I just want to know he is ok and I know I will know more after his evaluation soon. Thanks for letting me vent!

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Well, your son is saying more than my son is and DS is 4. We had DS evaluated at 18 months because he wasn't saying anything and he's been in speech therapy pretty much ever since and is improving.

If they do find something, be glad they found it early and not later. Things are harder to "fix" when the kids get older.

sarahann1978 responded:
My DS is 32 months now, and he didn't really get a speech explosion until about 2.25-2.5 years. I would say he was saying about what you have described if not a little less at that age. Now he speaks very well, knows his colors, counts to 10 perfectly and pretty much has down the alphabet. He uses the right words to convey his thoughts. He still mostly doesn't ask to drink or eat because 1) I am always offering, and 2) he doesn't eat much, especially outside of meals.

Is your son really physically active? Mine was and was way into going a million miles an hour, so I figured he was just a busy body and not into talking. When he was ready it clicked for him. I don't think it hurts to get an EI evaluation done, but I think you should definitely stop worrying, he will probably just start talking up a storm one day.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

BabyParks replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
thank you I am so glad they will be able to help him. They did tell me today after doing an assesment over the phone he does not fit any of the criteria for Autism but if he did I would just work with him and help him best way we could. I will love him no less no matter what he had going on. I think Autistic children are amazing and so smart and talented in so many ways. I do feel like his is speech and he just needs some help with it. He passed his hearing test with flying colors

BabyParks replied to sarahann1978's response:
Thank you for sharing this makes me feel so much better reading all these post! Oh yes he is going non-stop and is a little bean pole like his daddy who is also a little busy body! That describes him to a T. He is so active it's so funny to watch him. He never slows down ever. Thanks for the help. I think he will be talking my ears off soon and I'll wish he would stop talking so much then. It's just how I am with him, i shouldn't worry but I do sometimes about silly things!

He just learned this week to count to 6 so he is so cute in trying. He says one, two, tree, fur, fid, sick, it's so cute. He is trying really hard. I have been really trying to work with him more the past couple weeks and I guess it's finally starting to click with him or he just now got ready to learn. I hope when they evaluate him he doesn't need help but if he needs it I am so glad it's there to help him.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to BabyParks's response:
Such great news, BabyParks!

Please keep us posted with any new news and take care
Amelia
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Hannah. I had my DS when I was 17. I am a single mom but that was a choice made for DS as well as my own safety. My little pumpkin was born...More

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.