Skip to content
Anyone making their LO's Halloween costume?
magsnemma posted:
I get crafty at this time of year. I made a Halloween wreath out of tulle and am still thinking about whether or not to make DD's Halloween costume. I don't do it for any other reason than I like Halloween and I like making her costumes.

Her first year she was Maggie Simpson and last year she was Princess Baby (from the book). This year I ask her and I get a different answer every time, so I'm wondering if I can get away with just making her something I want to do. I was thinking that this year I could make an owl or blue bird (think Jewel from Rio) costume. I have a tutorial that doesn't seem very hard and I could glue rather than utilize my sub-par sewing skills.

Anyone else thinking of making a costume? What are your LO's going to be for Halloween?
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one!

I have already decorated the house and am a huge fan of Halloween, though I respect those who are not. We are just big fans of decorating, getting crafty, dressing up and pretending...I'm terrified of thinking about DD one day going out on her own, but will have to approach that later.

I would love to see your LO as Maggie Simpson!! How hysterical and cute, I'm sure! You better share some pictures if you make the owl or blue bird. My DD was Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas both last year and the year before. She loves musicals and that movie, though I thought it might be too scary.

This year we are making her Lady Rainicorn from Adventure Time, so she is half rainbow/half unicorn. Can't wait! Anyone else?

Amelia
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

cyn22mull responded:
I totally missed this post!! I am not crafty at all so i usually buy costumes. This year DS wants to be a chef (not sure where that came from) so we got him a chef hat and apron. Yesterday he said he wanted to be a pirate so who knows!
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3 29lbs 33inches at 3 yr check up.

sarahann1978 responded:
I have been starting to think about it. Last year I COULD NOT get into the spirit. I think part of it was that a friend gave me a homemade costume for DS and I didn't care for it, but felt that I should put him in it because she was so excited to give it to me, and they were at the party we went to. DH and I didn't even dress up and we were the only ones there in plain clothes. DS was a dragon/dinos

This year DS is really into Jake and the Neverland Pirates and does a good Yo-ho-ho, so I was thinking the three of us could do that, DH-Jake, Me-Izzy, and DS-Cubby. I pretty much would just have to make vests for DH and DS and I would need a frilly pink shirt. They even just wear bandanas and not pirate hats, so that would be easy.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

sarahann1978 replied to sarahann1978's response:
I did not finish my thought on the first paragraph... DS was a dragon/dinosaur. His first Halloween we dressed him as Smokey Bear since DH works for the Forest Service. It was super cute! I bought a basic baby bear costume and added blue jeans to it and borrowed a little hat that said Smokey.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

Jackie03291 responded:
I wish that I have crafty enough to make Ava's costume, but I'm not. I have no idea what Ava is going to be this year yet either, I guess I am going to ask her to weekend to see if she has any ideas for herself so I can start looking out for it. There are already Halloween-themed events going on this weekend where kids can dress up, so it is definitely time to get moving!
Jackie (26) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08 Baby 2 Due 5/6/11

lenono97 responded:
I was lucky enough to find a Minnie Mouse dress at a second hand sale last weekend for $4 so DD will be Minnie Mouse this year. I found some Minnie ears at Party City for $5.99. So I think I am doing pretty well so far! We will go trick and treating with her cousins who will be dressing up as Mickey. I don't dress up but DH sometimes does. I am that person with the shirt that says "this is my Halloween costume!"

magsnemma replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Love the idea of half unicorn and half rainbow. DD is still obsessed with My Little Pony, but that's kind of a tough costume and the ready-made ones look funny to me. Here's a pic of DD as Maggie Simpson though:

I was super proud of it. I made the hair out of a newborn cap (stretched way out since she has a big head lol) and used automotive sponges for the spikes. Otherwise it was just a sleep sack and a shirt and a binky wrapped in red duct tape.
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

jlynnpaine responded:
I wish I was crafty and talented enough to make DD's costumes. My mom always made all of ours growing up but there is no way I could pull it off. I am not a big fan of holidays in general but in the past have always had a fun idea for DD's costume. This year I just can't get into it and nothing sounds "right". I'm thinking about buying her either a frog costume (she said she wanted to be a frog the other night) or a Minnie Mouse costume.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to magsnemma's response:
SHE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!! hahaha Thank you for sharing

I love this so much!
Amelia
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Sarah and I am a stay at home mom and full time student. I have a beautiful daughter (Kinsey) who will be two in a few short weeks, and I a...More

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.