Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Time to brag
earleyml1012 posted:
Since the boards have been slow, I thought it would be fun to do a post where we can brag on our little ones.

DD learned how to draw smiley faces and has been so proud of herself that she makes them all the time. The funny this is she does them sideways. She makes the circle than on the left side of the circle she does two dots for the eyes like this : then she draws a curvy line next on the right of the eyes. You have to turn the paper to have a "normal" smiley.

DD has also started to use manners when asking for things or receiving something. "Daddy may I have some juice....Thank you for the juice." It's too cute! We're so proud of her though.

She also LOVES to sing, so she's really starting to pick up the lyrics of adult songs. She's known the words to the ABC, Twinkle Twinkle, Wheels on the Bus, and Itsy Bitsy Spider for some time but now she's singing songs that she hears on the radio.

Jackie03291 responded:
That's great that she can draw smiley faces!! About the only thing Ava can do is draw circles, so maybe we will give smiley faces a try too, that might be easy for her to do. She still mostly scribbles although she is trying harder when she colors a picture in a coloring book to color within the lines a little bit.

Ava's brag is that she is starting to "read" whole words now. Nothing big, but she knows her name, Mom, Dad, Tiger (our dog), dog, and she sometimes mixes up cat and car, but most of the time gets it right. We have one of those etch-a-sketch things and she loves to have me write words down for her to look at, so those are definitely the ones that she asks for the most so she has learned to recognize them anywhere now. She learned pretty early all of her letters (capital only) and we are working on learning the lower case letters now too.
Jackie (26) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08

magsnemma responded:
Wow, you guys have some smart kiddos. I think it's so interesting that our LOs can be roughly the same age and be so completely different in what they can do.

One of the things that I love is to see DD start to use her imagination. She loves doing circle time with her babies and aminals (her way of saying it), and she plays with her dollhouse and ponies and has started with actual little scenarios that they act out. It's really fun just to sit and watch her go.

DD is also night potty trained. Since she moved to her big girl bed in June, she's only had one accident, which I think is pretty great. I didn't try to do it, she did it all on her own.

This is sort of a weird brag, but since DD was sooo shy when she started daycare, I love this. Now, when I go to pick her up, she doesn't want to leave! I love that she has so much fun there.
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

sdadkin responded:
I want to brag on DS learning his colors. He knows most of them. We will point to something and ask him what color it is and he usually answers correctly. He can also almost count to 10. Sometimes he will leave a number out.

Lately, DS will point to people and say if they are a girl or a boy (I guess they learned this at daycare). He will say mommy is a girl, daddy is a boy, and Carter is a boy (that's his name). When I ask him what his little brother is he says a girl! Lol.
Me 26, SO 26, DS1 (7/22/09), DS2 (5/03/11)

lenono97 responded:
My DD has been amazing me lately with her imagination. Today we had a "picnic" on the living room floor. She used her blocks as the food and her stackable cups as our milk cups. We went to a lot of parades this summer so she likes to play "parade." She will through her blocks on the floor and says she is throwing candy out like they do in the parade. She is SO cute!

jlynnpaine responded:
Shae is really into names right now. She repeatedly asks everyone what their name is and she can pronounce all sorts of names I never expect her to. We watch a lot of bullriding and she asks every single cowboy and bulls name and can pronounce them all, even the Brazilians who have names like Silvano and Guilherme.

She also says the funniest things. Yesterday she told me, "I have to here Mama, I'm concentrating." She also tells us that her dog and her bunnies are her "'sponsibility" and that she has to take care of them.

She knows all her colors, some shapes and letters and can count to 20, although she insists that "fiveteen" is the property number, rather than fifteen. I guess that makes sense when you think about it.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

acn2008 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Jodi, Shae sounds exactly like my Kendall! She practically drives the kids she meets crazy because she asks them over and over again what their names are lol. She also will say repeatedly to people when she meets them "Hi, my name is Kendall. I'm 2." If you don't mind me asking, what month was Shae born? I remember you from the 1 year old boards, and if I remember correctly, our daughters were born very close. Kendall was born 2/25.

She also does the same thing in regards to the counting. She knows chunks of her ABC's, but when she gets to the end she says "w, x, y, b, c!" It's hilarious.
Me(24) DH(25) Kendall(2) Morgan(8 mos)

jlynnpaine replied to acn2008's response:
So cute that Kendall tells everyone how old she is. I've been trying to get Shae to tell me how old she is for awhile. The other night at dinner, she decided that she was not two, she's three.

She was born April 24th so the girls are just a couple months apart. I don't remember you from the 1 year board. Sorry!
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

acn2008 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Oh no, already wanting to be older than what she is lol. It's amazing the stuff they come up with sometimes.

I probably read more than I posted on the 1 year old boards, so I understand if you don't remember.
Me (24) DH (25) Kendall Ann (2) Morgan Jane (8 mos)

sarahann1978 responded:
For quite some time now I have taught DS a few little questions and taught him the response. One is "how old are you?", which he says "two" and another is "who does Mommy love?" which I taught him to say "me" and point to his chest. You may remember that I have been working on getting him to say his name, Austin, for some time and he does it pretty good now except that he goes easy on the "t" so it's more like Aus-In. Yesterday I asked him "who does Mommy love?" and he looked at me and said "Aus-in!" I thought it was cool that he associates his name with himself now since he has been a late talker.

The other day I asked him how old he was and he said "two" and then I asked him how old Mommy was just to see what he would say and he had a puzzled look on his face and then says is a questioning tone "three?"

He also counts 1-10 on his own and can sing the alphabet with music or someone else reciting it.

It has been about two weeks since he had a potty accident, so that is awesome!

He has also started picking at salad on his plate. He has been anti-vegetable since he turned one. He would once in a great while eat steamed veggies, but this is the first he has attempted raw veggies.
Sarah (32), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Mom to a wonderful 2 year old Daughter, whom we adopted via foster care. I am a Wife to an amazing Soldier, whom I am so proud to call Husba...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.