Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OT- Had to share- first ultrasound today!
Jackie03291 posted:
So I had my first dr. appt and ultrasound this morning. Everything looks great. I am measuring 8 weeks 5 days, so just a couple days ahead of my LMP, so they are just leaving my due date at 5/6/11. Heartrate was about 155 so that looked good too. The only sad news though is that they do not offer the option of a VBAC, so I have to have a scheduled c-section during my 39th week, so my baby will actuallly probably be born the last week of April. I might still get to go into labor naturally if my baby decides to come 2 weeks early like my 3 year-old did, but otherwise I don't have a choice if I stick with these doctors. I think that I am ok with it though, they seemed really nice, so all together a good first appointment!

I did tell my boss today just because it is such a new job and I didn't want him to think that I was hiding it or anything, and we will tell most of our family, but I think that I will wait to tell the rest of my co-workers. Mostly just because I'm not very close with any of them yet. I don't think that we are going to tell Ava just yet. I think that I will wait until I am about 12 weeks to really sit her down and explain.
Jackie (26) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08

sdadkin responded:
Congratulations! It's so exciting! Your world is going to completely change when you add a second child. We had our second DS when our first DS was only 21 1/2 months old. It was a bit of a transition at first, but everybody is doing good with it now. I am glad that my boys will be close in age, but I think it would have been a lot easier if my first was closer to age 3 when the second came along. I kind of feel like I missed out on a lot of milestones because I was so tired when I was pregnant and after he was born.

I suggest you get a couple of books you can read to Ava about becoming a big sister. And spend as much one-on-one time with her as you can. She will probably be really jealous of the new baby at first, but then she will warm up and probably be a good helper for you.

Good luck with your pregnancy! I hope you have a very healthy 9 months! Congratulations!
Me 26, SO 26, DS1 (7/22/09), DS2 (5/03/11)

earleyml1012 responded:
CONGRATS!!! I'm predicting another girl based on the heartrate. We waited to tell DD until the heartbeat check at 12 weeks too. Sometimes I wish we would've waited until closer to my due date b/c she's constantly asking when her baby sister will come. A suggestion for that is to make a calendar with some special days on it and then have your DD cross of the days showing that you are getting closer to the baby coming. We started this in August at the beginning of my 3rd trimester and put visits from grandparents and bdays on it so DD could start to understand the concept of time. I think I gave you some titles of really good Big Sister books but if that was someone else, let me know and I can send them to you too. DD LOVES these books and asks to read them almost every night. I also found that having her around other small babies has helped her understand that they can't do much. Good luck and I think Ava will be a great big sister! Our girls will be almost 3 years apart and I think it's a great age difference.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
YAY! Congrats on everything! and best of luck with the job and Ava! I love the other gals suggestions on the books, too. Here is a cool short video on Little Siblings in Training . I thought it was precious that they take the kids around the hospital, wearing scrubs, showing them the newborns and teaching them how to be big responsible sisters and brothers.

Enjoy your new, exciting life!
Amelia
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Jackie03291 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks! They have something like that at the hospital that I will be going to, so I will definitely be signing Ava up! It looks so cute.
Jackie (26) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08 Baby 2 Due 5/6/11

cyn22mull responded:
Congrats!!! Sounds like a good apt.
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3 29lbs 33inches at 3 yr check up.

BabyParks responded:
Congrats to you! How long were you TTC baby 2! I will be praying for happy and healthy baby and mommy! I have been trying for baby 2 for about 16 months. He will be two Oct. 8, 2009 so our LO's are about a year apart exactly. I hope I am able to get pregnant soon but we have to wait 3 months before doing any Clomid or IUI for hubby to take vitamins to help with motility so it's a long road I've been on. But it will be so worth it and I am so glad we did start TTC sooner so I could get the surgery and all the help I needed to try for this next baby.

I look forward to hearing from your progress soon and know your little one will be so excited when her baby bro. or sis. gets here

jlynnpaine responded:
Congratulations on a good appointment! I'm so excited for you. I'm sure your DD will be an awesome big sister. Sorry to hear you won't be able to do your vbac. That is something that is really important to me the next time around so when the time comes, I have to switch doctors. Did your boss take the news well?
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

Jackie03291 replied to BabyParks's response:
Thanks! We actually weren't TTC. This baby is completely unexpected and kind of a badly timed surprise really, but we are excited and embracing it none the less. I think in my life that always has seemed to be the way things worked! LOL Ava was a completely unplanned surprise, but we managed to make it work, so we will this time too I'm sure!

Best of luck to you, I'm sure that it will work out for you guys, it sounds like you're doing everything right!

Jackie03291 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Thanks Jodi! My boss actually did take it well and so I still need to go talk to HR to find out about what to expect for maternity leave and all of that, so that will be my next move. Wish me luck! Hopefully I will get some type of paid maternity leave because with Ava and my previous job I got about 11 weeks, so I will be really sad if I don't get anything because as of right now, I am the only income right now and having a c-section I will definitely need some extra time off.

jlynnpaine replied to Jackie03291's response:
Aww, good. I'm glad your boss took it well. I hope you can get some paid time off when you have the baby. I had a week paid when I had Shae and went back when she was two weeks old (after a c-section). It sucked to say the least. Is your DH job hunting? Maybe he'll find something before the baby comes and take some pressure off you too.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have belonged to Webmd boards for about 5-7 yrs now. I believe everyone has their own unique point of view and even if I dont always agree with peop...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.