Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Normal behavior or OCD?? :)
Jackie03291 posted:
Just wondering if this is normal for this age (Ava will be 3 in two weeks) or if I have a child suffering from OCD or something. So she is completely obsessed with her room being in perfect order every night before she goes to bed. She will completely break down if something is not in the right spot or if something was left downstairs. Her blankets and stuffed animals in her bed all have a specific spot and she has to make sure that they are all sitting up and her blankets are laying around her just so. When she plays a lot, she likes to line toys up and move them from one spot to another always in the same order. Sometimes I will switch up the order when she turns her back and she usually notices right away and has to move them back and she will just do this over and over back and forth. It's quite funny sometimes, but it does make me wonder if she is a little obsessive or if it is normal to be like this at this age.
Jackie (26) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08 Baby 2 Due 5/6/11

scperdomo responded:
I don't know, it sounds kinda normal to me. DS has a tendency to get like that sometimes. He has to sit in a certain spot on the couch, he will take all his trucks and line them up, then rearrange them and line them up again and if you mess with them while he's doing that, he freaks out.

I've joked that he might be OCD, but I dont seriously think he is, I just think he's a normal, spastic toddler.

jlynnpaine responded:
Shae has quirks like this too. She loves to cover her babies with blankets, or lay them on blankets on the floor. However, the blanket must always, ALWAYS be perfectly flat. No wrinkles, no folds. She will fix it repeatedly until it's just right. At night when I cover her up with a blanket it must a certain side facing down. Sometimes it's a color thing, sometimes it's a texture thing depending on the blanket but she will freak out if you put it on wrong. All cupboards and drawers must be closed. If she notices one that's cracked, she has to fix it. I also tell her that she's OCD. I think it's very normal toddler behavior. Maybe mention it to her pedi at her 3 year checkup but honestly, I wouldn't be concerned.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

earleyml1012 responded:
She might be but it's not a terrible thing unless it starts to control her life. Just think her room will always be clean and organized. ;c)

My husband is definitely OCD but not extreme. I've noticed some of those traits in DD. She has this Lucky Ducks game and everytime we play we have to be the same color as the last time. Then one day after playing she lined up all the ducks in a straight line before putting them away. We also have a calendar that we are using as a count down to baby (less than 2 weeks!! YAY!!) and we have her put a star sticker on at the end of each day. Most of the time the stars are all facing (yes they have faces on them) the same way. So she does have some characteristics of OCD but we're not worried.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello all..I am now a proud mother of a 2year old little girl. Miss Celeste blessed my life on 8/9/08 and she is truly my angel! I am also a single f...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.