Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bad Ear Infection
palvarad posted:
My lil guy has developed a really bad ear infection. It's been ongoing for three weeks and he's now on his third different antibiotic. He's okay, but the nights have been horrible. The doctor said he has a blister on his ear drum from this infection, which is causing him to have excessive phlegm, coughing from post nasal drip, slight fevers and generally bad moods at night because his balance is thrown from his ear infection. I'm so upset about it. I'm pregnant, so when he wants comfort he wants me to carry him but I can only do it for so long (I'm not supposed to do it at all). I'm 9 months, and I know what I shouldn't do, but when my son is sobbing his heart out from the pain and reaching for me I feel a piece of me die. DH tries to carry him but he wants mommy for the comforting.
I know it's not that serious, and that other parents endure so much more, but it's breaking my heart to see my baby boy hurting. I can't risk harming my unborn child, but when my other child is in pain I don't know what to do. I feel so torn.
I just needed to vent. I know I haven't been on these boards in a while, but the pregnancy has eaten up all my time. Thanks for listening.

sdadkin responded:
I know how you feel. My boys are 21 1/2 months apart. When I was pregnant with my second DS1 wanted me to hold him all of the time especially when he was sick. It got harder and harder to pick him up and carry him around the further into my pregnancy I got. Do you have a rocking chair? If your DS will let you hold him in your lap that is easier on you. Or sitting on the couch with his head laying in your lap. I don't think any dad is able to comfort like a mommy can

My DS1 had to have tubes put in a couple of weeks after his first birthday b/c he kept getting ear infections. It was awful when he woke up from the surgery. He cried for 20 minutes straight (he doesn't normally cry a lot). But he has done much better since the surgery. He has only had one small ear infection since then. I don't know if your DS gets a lot of ear infections, but if he does IMO the surgery is definitely worth it. HTH!
Me 26, SO 26, DS1 (7/22/09), DS2 (5/03/11)

palvarad replied to sdadkin's response:
thanks. So far surgery is too early for discussion, he's had it for three weeks and the doctor is thinking the next step is ear drops. I think the next step is me choking the doctor out for putting my child on three different antibiotics, but that may just be me overreacting.

sdadkin replied to palvarad's response:
The dr gave my DS drops with his last ear infection and he hated it! I'm not sure how well they worked anyway. We gave them to him a few nights in a row and he would fight us every time. He was also on a "z-pack" (azithromycin-sp?) and it seemed to help. I hope your LO feels better soon! Ear infections are hard to handle!
Me 26, SO 26, DS1 (7/22/09), DS2 (5/03/11)

palvarad replied to sdadkin's response:
I hate this ferris wheel of medication. It's almost as if she doesn't know what to do. He's only 2 1/2 and I just don't feel comfortable with all these antibiotics. They aren't working! We go back to the doc's tomorrow, so we'll see what she says now.
Thanks for the advice!

Tasha2bert replied to sdadkin's response:
Read the latest about Zpack. It's causing heart problems. Antibiotics are not good for children long term. I know you may think I am crazy, but my 2 yr old grandson had tubes in his ears before he was a year old. However he still gets severe ear infections. The doc said they need to fall out and then have them done again. Really, the first time was awful and he cried and cried and there was no comforting him. I recommend an alternative to conventional medicine. I bought Doterra 100% pure natural oils and put a few drops of Lavender behind his ears and it worked. Good luck

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mommy to my best buddy Stephen. Stephen has a speech delay, and gets to spend his mornings at preschool working on that, while I t...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.