Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OT- Birth Control...
sdadkin posted:
What is everyone using?

Before I got pregnant with my first DS I didn't really use anything. After he was born I was on the mini pill because I was bf. I stayed on it until we started to try for our second baby (thought it would take us longer than it did. lol) And after DS2 was born I did the mini pill again while I was breastfeeding. I kept forgetting to take the pill, so after I stopped bf I started the depo shot. I have only had one dose of it (almost 3 months ago) and I can already tell I am gaining weight on it and I hadn't lost all of my baby weight yet. I can't stop eating! It's horrible. I love not having a period though.

Before I got the depo shot I thought about getting Mirena, but after my insurance it was still going to cost around $700 and we definitely can't afford that right now. We still want to have one more child but not for a few more years. Is there anything else I could take? TIA!
Me 26, SO 26, DS1 (7/22/09), DS2 (5/03/11)

MAllen81 responded:
I used the pill - orthotricyclo. Really had no problems until getting back on it after DS2. I was really crabby and had no sex drive. After switching to something else, I finally decided to get off the pill and voila, I was back to normal! My DH was very happy, too. And I'm sure my kids were, too. We knew we wanted 1 more DC, so we just used condoms. I'm not gonna lie, it sucked! But we ended up having DS3 as planned, and 3 weeks later DH got a vasectomy!

jlynnpaine responded:
Before having DD, I was on Orthocept and loved it. After having her, I tried the minipill since I was bfing. However, I bled continuously for months while on it, so I finally quit taking it and we just used condoms until she weaned at 14 months. Then I went back to Orthocept until we were ready to ttc #2. I'm now 11 weeks pregnant, so no birth control necessary for now. After this baby, I plan to try the Mirena.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

sarah0323 responded:
What about the Nuva Ring? You insert if for 3 weeks then remove it for a week and then insert a new one.

You don't have to remember to take a pill every day.

I was allergic to it otherwise I would have continued to use it.
Me 32,DD 11, DS1 6, DS2 4, DS3 3, EDD 11/19/10

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 41year mummy to a gorgeous daughter born 11/12/2008. August 2010 I had brain surgery to repair 2 unruptured aneurysms. I love being a stay a...More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.