Skip to content
Bad mom for letting 26 MO potty train
jhetsmom posted:
So I am a 24 year old mom of 1. My son, Alex Jhet, started his interest in potty training around 14 months. We brushed it off as luck when he started wanting to go and doing it sucessfully. By 18 months he was doing it regularly with reminders but still in diapers. My husband and I have never gotten mad about accidents or refusals. We figured if he wants to, he will and if he doesn't, there are still diapers. Around this time, during the summer we had many family gatherings. During which, Alex would ask to go and we would take him. Various family members were pointing out how young he is to PT. I brushed it off. Then the comments started turning into criticism on our parenting. Forcing our son into something he isn't ready for, trying to make him bigger than he is, trying to 1 up other family members. The list goes on. I have brushed it off til yesterday.
I was in the store and my son wanted to go. I parked my cart outside the restroom and ran him in. Another woman was in there and over heard me talking to my son about going potty. She literally waited for us to come out and proceeded to tell me that I am what is wrong with children, how I force my son to do things he doesn't want and how I am damaging him for his future. I was very polite and let this person finish her rant and responded with, "Well I am so glad you carried this child for 9 months, gave birth, breastfed him til 1 year, and are constantly watching over him making sure he is safe and taken care of to be telling me what I am doing wrong with him. Thank god you know what his every thought is and how he acts in situations and how you know exactly what is best for him. Not that you would know how he asks me to use the potty without coersion and how not once have I ever forced my child into a bathroom assuming he needs or wants to go, or that I punish him for not doing my will." I realize my son is PT very early for a boy, we have our good and bad days. But I don't see why people need to put their 2 cents in others business? Why should I force him to wear diapers and go in them when clearly he doesn't want to? Why should I be chastized for teaching my child about PTing when he started asking? And why should I feel guilty about my son being intelligent and independant enough to accomplish such a feat at an early age? I don't, I won't, and I am proud that I am supportive of what my child wants to accomplish, and feel like I am a great mom for doing just that.
Anyone else ever have these experiences? I just need to know that I am not the only one. How did you handle it when it happened?

QTpie2009 responded:
Wow, I cannot believe this happened to you! That is ridiculous! My son was potty trained at 25 months and no I do not think you have done anything wrong. If he was showing interest, he was ready. This really tics me off!
Me (28), DH (31), Kayden Riley born 06/09/09

lenono97 responded:
How did the woman reply back? Good for you for standing up for yourself! If your son is asking to go, you are not doing anything wrong. You are lucky you have a child that wants to use the potty!

tempymae2007 responded:
I have not run into this but I just want to say GOOD FOR YOU for standing up to this ignorant woman. My daughter started showing signs around 1 yr that she was interested in the potty. She would sit on it and play with it ( her little potty not ours) When she was just shy of two years we started asking her and putting her on the toliet after two days of her not wanting anything to do with it or caring if she peed her panties we pulled back and didn't mention it again. After 1 month she decided on HER OWN that she wanted to potty in the big girl potty, yes we have accidents but mostly they are our fault for not getting her there on time. I commend you for allowing your son to decide on his own no matter how old he is/was.

jlynnpaine responded:
I'm so sorry that people are not being supportive of you. Really, they need to keep their opinions to themselves. It's none of their business! I'm glad you stood up to the woman who was being critical of you.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

jhetsmom replied to lenono97's response:
I didn't give her the opportunity to respond. I picked my son up and walked out of the bathroom. It ircked me too. DH thought we should get a potty just to be ready for when he did want to try. We talked to him about it when we went and aren't shy with him about body parts. We would ask him before bath time and showers if he wanted to go and it just took off from there. I really felt like the woman was completely out of line. I may have over reacted slightly but I felt like it was necessary. I am glad to see other moms back me up.

tothebeach4 replied to jhetsmom's response:
Absolutely, good for you! That's awesome your son is so interested in his independence; you and your husband are obviously great parents and your son a well adjusted child. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing because it's working!!

WIFEY2DSR responded:
THAT IS WONDERFUL MY SON WAS PT TRAINED AT 28 MONTHS

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home Mom of 1 son. I love spending every day with him. I have an amazing husbands who works like crazy so I don't have to work outs...More

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.