Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Monsters in DS room
QTpie2009 posted:
My DS is 2 1/2 and this problem started probably two months ago. He says there are monsters in his room and so he doesn't want to sleep in there at night. If does go to sleep in there he will get up in the middle of the night and knock down his gate and come and get in our bed. We don't let him watch scary movies or even talk about monsters so I'm not sure where he got this. So we got him a little flashlight and told him to shine it at night when he's scared and it will keep the monsters away. That didn't work. We put Christmas lights up in his room. That didn't work either. He has hardly ever slept through the night (usually waking up twice a night) and I would like to try for another baby soon, but I do not want to be up with him and a baby and then working 40 hours a week. How can I calm his fears?
Me (28), DH (31), Kayden Riley born 06/09/09

magsnemma responded:
DD did the same thing at about the same age. We used "monster spray." In our case it was the same thing as cootie spray and consisted of us making spray noises with an invisible can. You could also decorate a spray bottle and spray it that way too. She also had a guard monster that kept that bad monsters out. Good luck, that's tough.
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi QTpie!

My DD was also afraid around this age, as her imagination was starting to really grow. I took her fear very seriously and explained that monsters were make believe and that there was no need to be scared. We decorated her room with lights, as you did to make it friendly and not so dark. I also hung a string of bells on the wall behind her bed so she could ring them for good dreams.

This Overview on Overcoming Fear of the Dark might give you some great pointers as to things that could worsen and/or help your LO get over her fear.

Good luck!
Amelia
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

QTpie2009 responded:
Good suggestions. Thanks!

cyn22mull responded:
Over time we did a few different things. I am not sure which one did the trick, but now he is not so afraid.

Before bed each night we let DS help us check to make sure the front and back doors were locked, that way no mosters could get into the house. We also let him pick out a new small stuffed animal (he picked a bear) and before bed he sits it on the floor by his door, sometimes he sits it out in the hallway in front of his room. We let him pick out a new nightlight. Its the moon and planets and it shines on the ceiling. Even now he sometimes will still ask me if the mosters will get him. Good luck!!!
Cindy(35) DH (39) DS Christopher 3 29lbs 33inches at 3 yr check up.

QTpie2009 responded:
Ok, so I posted this a couple weeks ago. This issue has now gotten worse. When it's time to get in bed I fight and fight with him to stay in his bed. He cries and clings to me and says he wants in our bed. Since my husband works 2nd shift I started letting Kayden fall asleep with me, then when DH gets home he would put him in his bed. Now this week whenever we try to put him back in his bed he wakes up immediately and screams and fights me and clings to me. If by chance he DOES sleep in his bed, he wakes up 2-3 times a night crying and knocks down the gate to come and get in bed with us. If he sleeps with us he is sound asleep the whole night. Ugh, this is so frustrating.

jlynnpaine replied to QTpie2009's response:
Poor guy! I've not experienced this, but have read that getting a new stuffed animal, like Cindy said, can help. Let him pick out an animal and tell him that the puppy or bear or whatever he picks will keep the monsters away and keep him safe. Good luck! Shae has plenty of sleep issues (the most recent is insisting on turning her light on at all hours of the night) so I feel your pain.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother to 3 wonderful boys. Doug, Aaron and Josh are the lights of my life. Aaron and Josh are our miracles. After we had Doug we were told w...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.