Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Family Move w/ a 2 1/2 yr old
Jenny_1986_MI posted:
At the end of Oct. my husband, son and I moved into a house. In the last couple weeks, it seems like his behavior is so chaotic. One minute he's hyper, getting into things, throwing things, biting, and being a booger! Next minute he's laying on the floor playing with a blanket or car, all mellow. I wonder, is this because of the move? or is it because he's finally starting w/ the terrible two's? Either way it doesn't matter if I put him in time out or smack his hand, he will get right back up and get into things. Some days it seems like all I do is yell at him and put him in time out like 5 times a day. I don't want to have this type of relationship w/ my son. With the cold weather we don't go outside and he used to play outside like 4 times a day in the summer. I need to find a way to discipline him and/or help him run off his excess energy. I live in a small community so play groups and indoor parks are not an option we have. Any advice?

sarah0323 responded:
Lurking...

He sounds like a normal 2 YO to me. A few things that I have done over the years to help LO run off extra energy in the winter that may or may not apply.
* Let him ride his bike in the basement. (When we had a basement my kids would go down and ride their bikes for hours down there. They had set up a little track. Our basement wasn't finished. We put a baby gate around the heater and hot water tank.)

* I don't know what area you live in but my kids are still going outside. We live in the midwest. They get dressed in layers and they go outside and run around. It isn't as long as when it is warmer but it still helps.

* Library
* Church Groups (ours has a time once a week were moms and dads get together and the kids all play.
* Turn on the music and just dance. The kids love this and as a bonus you can get some exercise too.
*mini trampoline.
Me 32,DD 11, DS1 6, DS2 4, DS3 3, EDD 11/19/10

magsnemma responded:
We moved in June and DD was 2 1/2 at that time. While she had a hard time with the transition, we did settle into a rhythm. I think your son sounds pretty typical of the age. Combine that with not being able to go outside and that might causing some of the trouble. My advice is to be consistent with your choice of discipline and give him expectations of things when you transition from one thing to another (ie letting him know what's going to happen). I have found that the more frustrated I get, the worse DD is. They make bounce houses for 1-2 kids, I don't know if that's an option at all. What about the indoor play places at Chick-fil-A or McDonalds? Germy yes, but an option. Good luck, it's a tough age.
Ali (34) DH (34) DD (11/08) Emma (8 year-old lab)

Zaysmama replied to sarah0323's response:
My DS will be 3 in Feb and he went thru this as well. We have moved several times and each time he would start the transition by acting up. Part of the issue is the average 2yo... the other is testing his limits. He is in a new place and wants to make sure the rules are going to change. He will eventually adjust but the 2yo stage is full of craziness and lots of discipline. I have those days where I feel like I have done nothing but punish him every time i turn around, but consistency is key and no matter how many times he gets put in time out or has his fingers smacked, he will still love you! sounds like you are doing the right thing by not letting him act differently than before. but it is a major change going from hours of active play to calm and quiet inside time.
Although it doesn't wear on the energy, I found it helpful to keep DS occupied. doing puzzles together or crafts are a great way to teach them as well as keep them from getting into things. My DS loves to help me cook so I let him stand on a chair in the kitchen so he can see(as long as I am there) he likes feeling like he is helping.
Try some of the ideas and the other options for find other activities!
Good Luck!!! Hope it helps!
Heathir-

tink0509 responded:
we moved to a new house the first weekend in november. at first my 2 1/2 yr old threw fits and kept saying she wanted to go home. but after a couple of weeks she calmed down and behaved like she is suppose to. still every so often when we leave the house she says "we going home". i think they just have to get use to the new home and accept that the rules are the same no matter where they live.
we have 2 dogs that love to run around and play with our daughter. and i also take a few mins every day or every other day and sit down with my daughter and teach her abc's. she also watches tv and jumps around trying to do what the characters on tv are doing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Mommy of 9 yr old daughter and 2 year old son!

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.