Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help with Potty Training!!!
tink0509 posted:
My daughter is 2 1/2. she has no problem going on to the potty when we take her and she knows when she needs to go. she still wares a diaper and will go in her diaper and tell me after that she peed in her diaper. when she has on her under ware she will go in her cloths. when she wets her cloths we sit her on the potty for a while and tell her that thats where she needs to go not in her cloths/diaper. sometimes i let her go around the house with no bottoms on and she has no problem going to the potty every single time she has to go and she gets excited that she went potty. and she gets a treat every time she uses the potty. my question is how do i get her to go to the potty when she is waring her diaper/under ware instead of going on her self?

jlynnpaine responded:
I think it just takes time for them to get the process down. It sounds like she's doing really well and with time, she'll get better at figuring out that she needs to hurry to the bathroom before she actually pees. Have you considered tossing the diapers out completely and just putting her in panties full time? It may be confusing her. The other thing I'd do would be to try to watch her very closely and when she starts to go, tell her to hold it and run her to the bathroom so that she can finish in the potty. That will help her to see that it's urgent and not okay to pee in her panties.

Another thing we did for DD once she started trying to hurry to the bathroom but not making it every time was giving her an additional sticker when her panties stayed dry (she got a sticker for getting any pee or poop in the potty at first so if she peed and kept her panties dry then she got two stickers). Maybe choose a different treat for dry panties and make a BIG deal over it when she does make it. It's a long stressful process but it sounds like she's learning.
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Congrats tink!

Love Jodi's ideas, especially the sticker reward! For my DD, we had a sheet on the fridge and she put a sticker up for every perfect potty day that she accomplished. Once she got a certain number of stickers, she got a $20 gift card (or as she referred to it - a "credit card") to buy a big girl present.

Here are some other things to think about in this WebMD Toilet Training Your Child Feature .

Wishing you the best and hope that you keep us posted!
Amelia
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

sarahann1978 responded:
This is just my honest opinion, but I think diapers hold back kids from potty training. If you are really serious about it I think you should put her strictly in panties and not go back to diapers, except of course at night and nap if need be. Yes you will have to clean up accidents, but she will eventually get it. It took my DS a couple of months to finally get it all of the time, but while we dabbled with pullups he really had a hard time. Switching to undies all the time did the trick.

Good luck!
Sarah (33), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09), Baby (Aug 2012)

jlynnpaine replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Love the idea of the gift card for a big present! Once DD gets a little bit better about not having accidents, we may implement something similar to that. Very good motivation for them to listen to their body and not wait too long and have an accident.

tink0509 responded:
thank you all for your reply. the ideas are awesome. its been two weeks and we have had great progress. we are in big girl under ware completely during the day. diapers only at night and when we are gonna be in the car for a while. she goes potty all by her self and even tires to wipe on her own. we have only had a few accidents. im so proud of her. she is getting really smart and so grown up lol.

sarahann1978 replied to tink0509's response:
Woohoo, it is so great when they get it! Good work mama!
Sarah (33), DH(30), DS (Jan. 09), Baby (Aug 2012)

jlynnpaine replied to tink0509's response:
That's fantastic! Great job to both of you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 27 year old Canadian mom of 1. DH and I have been married for 3 years in June. I work full-time as a geologist, and my DH is a survey tech a...More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.