Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Night terrors
frogerman posted:
My DS is 2 1/2 and has been having terrible night terrors lately. Last night she woke up crying hysterically. She was so scared. Her little hands were shaking so bad she could barely hold her cup of water. I feel so bad and helpless. She has a night light in her room. Anyone have any advice on what I can do to help her with her bad dreams?

frogerman responded:
Oops, just saw my typo, I meant my daughter not son. Thanks for any help I can get.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome frogerman!

I can definitely understand your helpless feeling and know that seeing your DD go through these horrible night terrors is not easy.

If you haven't taken her to a pediatrician for an evaluation and questioned some possible professional insight as to helping out, that is something that you may definitely want to consider. I also hope that you check out our Night Terrors Overview on what to expect and different forms of treatment that are out there. As far as self-care at home, here is what is suggested from the Overview .

Parents might take the following precautions at home:

• Make the child's room safe to try to prevent the child from being injured during an episode.
  • Eliminate all sources of sleep disturbance.
  • Maintain a consistent bedtime routine and wake-up time.
I hope that your sweet daughter grows out of this soon and that you keep us posted on how she is doing.

Take care!
Amelia
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Brittany and im a SAHM. I have two wonderful kids!!! Lindzie 4 y/o (11-25-05) who started Pre-k in August and Landon 2 y/o (11-12-08) who loves hav...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.