Skip to content
NOT SLEEPING!
RanchMommy1533 posted:
Hi, it's been forever since I posted on WebMD, I think my last post was to announce the arrival of our youngest daughter in Oct. I am now faced with an insanely huge obstacle and I was hoping that I could get some advice or input. My now 3 month sleeps through the night (thank goodness) but the 2 year old is another story. I just took away her bottle a month and a half ago because I hated the fact that she was so dependent on it at bedtime. Ever since then (and even previous to) she won't sleep! She goes to bed at five and she gets up between 4:30-5 am EVERY morning. I've tried stretching her out til seven or so and she still gets up at the same ridiculously early hour. I've had to put a gate on her door because she wanders the house and gets into everything. I just don't get what i'm doing wrong or what I can do better? She won't nap either no matter how hard I try and by the time 5 comes around she's falling on the floor begging to 'go seepy'. I know she's exhausted, I am too! I'm starting to lose patience and I am at a loss as to what to do. We live on a ranch in MT and it's about 2 degrees outside otherwise the girl would be outside constantly!!! Help!

crunk05177 responded:
She goes to bed at 5pm?! That's why she is waking up so early!! Stretch it but keep stretching it....don't say after a day or two that it is not working....she has to get used to the new schedule.....As the kids get older they don't need as much sleep as they used to. Going to bed at 5 and waking up at 5 is a 12 our stretch....that's a long long time.....

jlynnpaine responded:
I would insist that she rest in the middle of the day, even if she won't actually nap. She obviously still needs the nap if she's so exhausted by 5:00. What time do you generally lay her down to try to nap? Do you have a nap routine similar to bedtime? Such as a dark room, a story, then into bed? Tell her that she must stay in bed, even if she's not sleeping for one hour. If she's still awake, then let her get up but I suspect she'll start falling asleep at least part of the time. Then like PP said, do bedtime later. 11-12 hours of sleep at night is very normal for them so if you can get her to stay up till 7:00, then she should sleep until 6-7 in the morning for you. When they get over tired, they have a harder time falling asleep so it's a vicious cycle. Once you're able to push her bedtime back, if she wakes up before 6:00, just lay her back down and tell her it's not time to wake up yet. Eventually, her body will reset the time that it's supposed to wake up and she should be on a better schedule. Just be firm and consistent with it. Good luck!
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have belonged to Webmd boards for about 5-7 yrs now. I believe everyone has their own unique point of view and even if I dont always agree with peop...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.