Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Touching private areas
An_243232 posted:
My granddaughter is 27 months old . We are in the process of potty training... She takes off her diaper repeatedly and holds herself.. She has a redness on her private area but she is constantly pulling it apart or touching herself.. Is this normal in little girls to explore this area to the point of making it red and irritated.. When we change her diaper , it hurts her for us to wipe that area.. She screams and hollers and won't lay still.. It seems better when we put powder or ointment in that area . We have discontinued bubble bath and soap and use non-allergenic cleanser on her... we catch her pulling it apart and it leaves it real red... My question is , " is this normal behavior for a toddler to explore this area " and if it is, what can we do to prevent her from irritating herself "..

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Yes, it's normal behavior for a toddler to explore this area. My daughter is around the same age and does it and my 4 year old will play with his penis in the tub.

It's possible the irritation is making it itch and that's why she keeps touching herself. Try to redirect her attention when you catch her touching herself.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Molly. I'm 30. We have 2 boys, one of whom is just off treatment for kidney cancer. David turns 3 in August. Jesse just turned 1.

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.