Skip to content
OT- birth control issues
sdadkin posted:
DS2 was born May 3rd. The following month my Dr put me on the mini pill. (I had taken this for about a year after DS1 was born and always had a regular period with it). Sometimes I would forget to take it so in August I went and got the depo shot. I didn't have a period at all with it. It made me gain like 10 pounds so when it came time to get the second shot I just switched to the Yaz pill (in Nov). I had 1 period at the very beginning when I started taking it and then I had another one 2 weeks later. The Yaz pill made me very moody. So in Dec I switched back to the mini pill (I should've never switched to begin with!). I have not had a period with the mini pill at all this time. The last period I had was the 2 that I had in Nov.

I know that it's normal to not have a period sometimes while you're on bc, but I took the mini pill for a whole year and always had a normal period right on schedule. I still get cramping ever so often but no bleeding at all. I have taken several pregnancy tests within the last couple of months so I know that's not it. I spoke with a nurse at the dr office and she didn't seem concerned. She thought it was normal. I already have an appt scheduled in June for my yearly exam. I wonder if I should just wait it out until then or if I should make an appt sooner?
Me 26, SO 26, DS1 (7/22/09), DS2 (5/03/11)

jlynnpaine responded:
That does seem odd, but I really don't know if it's typical or not. For me, I bled constantly on the mini pill. Could be that your hormone levels are just different this time around and that's why you're not getting a period. If you're worried, I'd go in and talk to the doctor. If you don't mind waiting, then just hold on until your annual. There are so many different pills out there that I'm sure your doctor can offer something that will work well for you and not have you worrying constantly about being pregnant. Good luck!
Jodi (27) DH (24) Shaelynn (2)

jlynnpaine responded:
Oh, I also meant to ask, are you nursing? That could have a lot to do with not having your period.

sdadkin replied to jlynnpaine's response:
No, I stopped nursing both of my boys around 3-4 months when I had to go back to work and stopped producing enough milk for them.

I hate not having a period. I know it seems like it would be a good thing, but the constant worrying about being pregnant again so soon is driving me crazy!
Me 26, SO 26, DS1 (7/22/09), DS2 (5/03/11)

jlynnpaine replied to sdadkin's response:
Oh, I totally don't blame you. I'd be worried all the time too. If it was me, I'd go now. Then you'll have a couple months to see if the new bc is working well for you before your annual. If not, then you can switch again. If so, that's great and a few less months of worry.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home Mom of 1 son. I love spending every day with him. I have an amazing husbands who works like crazy so I don't have to work outs...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.