Skip to content
Book works great to help LO sleep all night
Nicksbuckaroo posted:
I just thought I'd share this for those of you who were like me and have a little tot that just won't sleep at night. I followed the plan in the book 5 Days to a Perfect Night's Sleep for Your Child by Eduard Estivill and in 3 nights my son was sleeping ten hours uninterrupted, all by himself.

I have a 27 month old boy, who slept great up until he figured out how to climb out of his crib when he was 22 months old. After that, the only way I could get him to sleep was by laying on the floor with him. I had tried the cry it out method, and the only thing I achieved was making him so upset that he'd throw up. For the past several months, it has taken me 30-60 mins to get him to sleep and then he would wake up every 2 hrs on average (sometimes as much as 3-4 times a night).

I was exhausted, frustrated, and feared sleep was impossible. I stumbled across this book at the library, and thought I'd give it a try. It worked incredibly well.

Each night it got a little easier to put him in bed. This was my experience:
Night 1: Took 1 hr and 15 mins to get LO to sleep, but he slept for 9 hrs.
Night 2: Took 50 mins to get LO to sleep. He woke up twice and it took an hr each time to get him to sleep, which was frustrating when I knew that if I layed with him he'd go to sleep right away, but I stuck with it. Night 3: LO is asleep in 20 minutes, sleeps all night for 10 hrs.
Night 4: LO is asleep in 2 minutes and sleeps all night.
Night 5: LO gets in bed himself without being told, only cries about 10-15 seconds and sleeps all night again.
Night 6: LO cries for about 5 seconds and sleeps all night.

It is a straight forward, simple plan to follow (although not easy, for your little one will certainly be tugging on your heart strings), but in the end it is well worth the incredible results. The plan teaches your child how to sleep by himself and involves cuddle time before you try to put him in bed, not during, and leaving his room before he goes to sleep so that he doesn't need you to fall asleep or when he wakes up at night to go back to sleep. It does advocate not getting overly cuddly when you're trying to get LO to sleep, which was a bit tough, but the plan only works if you follow it exactly. Now both my son and myself can get the sleep we need.

The book is only about 80 pages, but don't let its short lenght deter you. It may be a small book, but it is a tremendous help. After all, what sleep deprived parent wants to sift through a long book to find answers? There were a couple things the author didn't address that I wish he would've but I wound up figuring them out for myself (such as if my son is not in his bed, it makes the most sense not to put him back in his bed when I popped in, in order to continue to follow the plan). I am VERY glad that I found this book, and I hope it helps.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Will it work for a child who used to sleep all night but for the last two months has been getting up in the middle of the night? DS has been in a toddler bed for two years and until about two months ago, we had no problem with him sleeping through the night. Now, he'll get up at least once during the night/early morning; on a bad night he'll get up every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Needless to say, I've been very sleepy since I'm the one he wakes up.

Nicksbuckaroo replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
It sounds like you're having pretty much the same struggles that I was. My son used to sleep all night until he started climbing out of his crib, and then was up about every 2 hrs every night for 5 months. I got to the point were I was exhausted and very frustrated. This plan has made incredible improvements in his sleep. Now he sleeps straight through the night, and I don't have to get up with him at all.

I would say it would certainly be worth a try.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a mommy to three beautiful kids...Haley is 11, Jordan is 7 & Brooklyn is 1.

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.