Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MY 2 YEAR OLD DONT KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE
vhammouri28 posted:
My son is 2 years old and had been to a doctor who did testing on him and said his ABR was abnormal and OAE was normal so they suspected Auditory Nueropathy so they sent me to another doctor that tested his ABR again and she said that it is fine he can hear, and does not see Audotory Neuropathy. This is hard because my son does not, understand what I say to him, like if I was to ask him to sit down he wont respond to me or acknowledge that I was even talking to him,or even understand what I am saying, my son is not even saying any words or paying attention to his name when I call for him or anything. My son does not communicate in any way and I am getting no where with teaching him.. How to relate with other in public or with other kids.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Could it be possible he's Autistic? Autistic kids tend to live in their own world and depending on the severity with either not acknowledge the outside world or will but not appropriately. I would have him tested for Autism.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and Welcome vhammouri28 -

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through.

Is he able to tell you or show you when he is hungry, thirsty, hurt or happy? Does he show any affection?

Has your pediatrician mentioned an Early Intervention Evaluation?

Please let us know and we will see if we can point you in the right direction.

Elizabeth

BabyParks responded:
HI i want to step in real fast and ask how old he is??? My son has been thru this and is still going thru speech now. He was the same way and would not tell me anything. He shows eye contact but when I would try to talk to him or say his name he did not respond either. But I wanting to give him time before having him tested for Autism. When he turned two I went ahead and had him evaluated for speech thru early intervention and he is able to get speech free and we have her come out of our home twice a month. He is doing so much better from just 4 months ago it's amazing. He still isn't talking in full sentences yet but he is starting to say more and more and he does communicate his needs finally and it is so great for him to finally tell me what he neeeds. Don't give up on him they all do things at different ages and I know it is so hard because i would know what he should be doing and he wasn't but he is now and was just ahead on all other things but speech was just not his thing. He will get there give him time. My DS is 29 months and is doing alot better now. I think it will be a couple more months but he will be talking much better soon. Autism is always something you think of when they do ignore you but just give him time. My son did that too and ignored me only because he was super busy and stubborn but was way affectionate to us and other children! I also get no where teaching him alot of times and he is super hyper so we have to do things on the go alot of times. The bathtub is a great way for us to learn and he is doing so much better like I said. Sometimes it can take til they are 3 for little boys to talk and I know some that have been close to 4 so try not to worry! Keep me posted on what you find out!

BabyParks replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
My son still can't tell me if he is hurt. My nephew was able at his age to say "My butt hurts kiss it make it better" and parker does not refer to things in this way! He will cry if he is hurt but is not able to communicate his leg hurts or his ear ect. and it is frustrating but doesn't mean he is Autistic but i do agree Early intervention is great and can help alot. They can also tell you signs to look for when they come out if they are autistic or think somethings not quite right. They said my son was way too social and showed too much eye contact to be autistic! I am giving him more time to learn and if still not doing better I will have him tested just don't want to jump the gun!

cbmarm777 replied to BabyParks's response:
I have started to get really worried now about our 24 month old daughter. She gives you plenty of eye contact. You can sit with her and make funny face and she will crack up laughing. You can sing to her the fresh beat band and she will smile at you. When you call her name she will not respond. She only has a few words and rarely uses them. She plays with all her toys and scatters them throughout the house. She loves to give hugs (squeezes) and shows tons of affection. She just acts like she is in a world of her own. She doesn't respond to any instructions at all. If she gets hurt she cannot tell you anything about it. The only instruction she does respond to is No No. We went onto an Autism website and it did seem like she matched a lot of the characteristics. I think we are going to do the early intervention as well. We are going to get her hearing tested again and then have her screened. Do you think this sounds like a hearing issue, delayed speech, or autism? We were thinking hearing issue because she does get stuffed up with a cough a lot. It might be possible fluid in her ears. Please help with any suggestions or thoughts. I will update this post when we find out anything new on this. Thanks

tlkittycat1968 replied to cbmarm777's response:
It could be any or all of the above. My son is speech delayed and shows some signs of autism and some signs of not having it. As one evaluator said, he's complicated.

cbmarm777 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Thanks for responding so quickly. That is scary there is no way of truly knowing. I guess the only way to truly find out is time. I will be filling out the paper work to get her screened. Have you tried to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion from anywhere?

BabyParks replied to cbmarm777's response:
Please do update when you find something out. I would do hearing screening first they require that anyways with Early intervention then go ahead and also set that up for them to come out. The sooner you get her help the better. Parker was exactly 24 months when we started the early intervention and getting him speech. It is hard to tell what it is since hearing, speech and autism all run sort of together. THey all mimic the autism so it could be either one at this point and until you get the testing you won't know. I have waited as long as I could to get our son tested for Autism but he goes tomorrow for an infant toddler screening test. This will not diagnose him as autistic but will see where he is on the spectrum and how severe he is and then we will get help for him and us depending on his needs. I am super excited to finally get him help. He is doing much better with his speech but he does play with his toys like you described your daughter does. He is very social but he just does things a little different that I noticed odd from day to day. He will take cars and sometimes he will play with them the right way but most of the time he will scatter toys. It's like he doesn't play with them the rigth way. He is also extremely hyper so it's hard for him to sit still and for us to work with him on his speech and his learning skills so it's a constant struggle. He has lots of tantrums too because he doesn't understand alot of times what we are trying to tell him even now at 30 months. He should be able to understand things he just doesn't get and that's ok. I don't think he is slow or anything like that just think he is learning at a different rate but I awant to be sure and get him tested so we go tomorrow at 2pm and I will update his results as soon as we know I hope this helps! Also the sooner they told me to get him tested for autism the better because by age 3 they sort of get set in their ways and are harder to help then. I can't ignore the signs and symtpoms I see any more. If there is any concern about Autisim at all I recommend testing her now. It's better to know and get them help. I wanted to let my son have time to see how he did but they actually told me time was worse with Autistic children and earlier the better and that by age 3 he may not even test autistic at all. So I am looking forward to getting help.

BabyParks replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
My son is complicated but to hear someone else say that would make me furious. I hope you will get another opinion also. Please keep me posted on what you find out! Don't give up on getting him help if you think there is something there. Mother's intuition is usually always right. I kept putting it off for about 8 months and finally it's time. My husband kept saying he's fine he will grow out of it. So not true and it's actually gotten worse in somethings. Speech is better tho so I am anxious to see what they tell us tomorrow.

tlkittycat1968 replied to BabyParks's response:
I didn't mind at all when they told me he was complicated because it just confimed what I saw. He's currently receiving speech, occupational, and physical therapy. He is also seeing a neurologist every 6 months. Also, he has become the client of a well-known autism research institute who really want him as a client because he's so complicated.

BabyParks replied to cbmarm777's response:
I am so sorry I just now ready this. I have been having a hard time dealing with our child who at that time was going thru major major tantrums. After a couple of months finally getting the run around we were able to get him tested and he does have PDD-NOS(pervasive developmental disorder) And he is getting ABA therapy now. I encourage you guys to talk to your pediatricians and get the Early intervention set up and they can then tell you after that what they see and if there are any red flags there for the autism. I hoep you were able to find help cbmarm777 and again i will try to do better updating now. We are due to have our 2nd baby in july and I am having contractions now so it' sbeen a rough couple of months but now we are doing much better with our son. His communication is much better and he is not having as many tantrums as before and is jsut doing much better. His play is beginning to get better as he did just scatter his toys as well and didn't ever play appropriately. He is now 32 months and odoing so much better. I hate to say he may be a different kid cause I am scared his old ways will come back how he was soooo awful there for a while but the past 3 weeks have been so much better for him and his understanding of things has gotten so much better. Before it was like he didn't get anything I was telling him and he would just breakdown. It's hard but you can do it. Keep me posted I will check back very soon!

That is great to hear. They did tell me my son was a hard case and it didn't upset me either cause I am like finally someone gets him. He isn't just the ordinary normal case kid. He is very high functioning but he also does a few things that we are like good grief son. We are also fixing to see a neurologist, what are you guys seeing one for. My son twitches alot in his sleep so we are going to get that checked out and do an EEG if they feel he needs it. SOrry i haven't kept in touch and hope all is going well with you guys. That is neat they wanted him as a client, this probably means you didn't have to pay for any of the normally big cost that are involved I am guessing as well so that's good maybe. I know the test we just did was 1600.00 and it ended up insurance paid for it but not sure if most insurances normally pay for that. Also his therapy is 2000 a month and insurance will pay 70% of that as well so it is expensive for sure. Please update me when you have time. I will try to check in a lot more often now. Thanks again!

tlkittycat1968! I am sorry i am so late replying to you all. I hope this works out for him and it sounds great ot hear you are getting help regardless. He may just be a neat case They did tell me my son was a hard case and it also didn't make me mad cause I was just finally relieved to hear somoene say he had issues ya know. I knew they were there but when nobody wanted to do anything it became so frustrating. Now we finally have a Diagnosis of PDD-NOS and it all makes sense more. I am glad you are getting help and hope the research is going great. Let me know what all things you are oding to help your child I'll try to do better updating now. thanks again

tlkittycat1968 replied to BabyParks's response:
DS was also diagnosed with PDD and that helped get our insurance to pay for speech therapy outside of school. He was evaluated by the school district for autism and met the educational definition which was good as that got him into a class for kids with communication difficulties. The evaluator was surprised at all the services (occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy through the district and through our insurance) he was getting. She said he was only one of two kids she knew of that insurance was paying for therapy and the only kid she knew that was receiving all the services he's receiving. The majority of the therapies (OT, physical and some speec) are provided by the district at no cost to us. We have a $15 co-pay/appoinment for the speech the incurance is paying for but we don't mind.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I joined the WebMD boards back when I was TTC in 2004. I had my son in May 2005 and the boards have been valuable with the wealth of information durin...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.