Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Are you more likely to hold your tongue, or tell it like it is?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
I have really had to hold my tongue lately. You know the line in Madagascar, "Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave".

What do you think, is this the best way to handle things or just tell it like it is? What should we teach our kids?

Elizabeth

orin34 responded:
We have been teaching my son about "personal space" (sometimes he crowds strangers a bit... he is very friendly) When we tell him 'personal space' he will move away a bit and give them some air.... Not bad for a kid that is a few months shy of two. In time I am sure we will be getting into the "personal comment" phase.
I think that is how I tend to decide when to hold my tongue or not. I almost always hold my tongue if it is a personal comment (you are huge, you smell, ect). Those comments are just rude. I have had to really hold my tongue on DH's stepsisters parenting style... yet again.... it is personal and none of my business.
I am boring, I keep things peaceful and neutral. I don't like to make waves. Although when it comes to someone cutting in line or being rude, I won't hesitate to tell them that their behavior is an atrocious example of how to be a caring human being. Sometimes I will just say "you are being very rude" (can't wait for my son to start saying that one... that will be hilarious).

tlkittycat1968 responded:
It depends. You definitely don't want them to tell their aunt her new dress makes her look like a giant eggplant but you also don't want them to say everything is fine when it really isn't. If it's a personal comment, you can teach them to either just ignore it or smile and ask why the person would say that.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Sarah.. I have one DD .. Emma who will be 3 in April. I'll be 25 at the end of March : O and my DH and I have been married for 3 years, 4 ...More

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.