Skip to content
Toddler with bad breath
Loulous24 posted:
My 2 1/2 year old daughter woke up this morning with a grayish white coated tongue and horrible breath. My husband actually asked her if she pooped! Turns out it was her breath! Is this common for a child?? The white coating isn't cottage cheese looking and I don't think it's thrush. Could sinus draining due to allergies be a reason? I'm just wondering what could cause the odor at her age. I've never heard of a toddler with halitosis. The other reason I'm concerned is because she didn't sleep well at all last night. She kept waking, which isn't like her. Could the bad breath, coating on the tongue, and disrupted sleep be pointing to something more serious?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi LouLous24,

Yikes! That is bad breath! Since it has been a few days, how is she feeling now? Please contact her doctor to have symptoms checked out.

Here are a couple resources that talk about reasons for bad breath -

The Truth About Bad Breath - Video
WebMD Ask the Dentist - Daughter bad breath.....

Keep us posted to let us know what you find out. Hope she feels better soon,
Elizabeth

QTpie2009 responded:
My DS had a piece of corn stuck up his nose and it caused him to have bad breath. After that was removed he did ok for about a week and then he had bad breath again. One evening he wouldn't stop screaming and saying his ear hurt so I took him to the ER. He had an ear infection. Colds/allergies can do that to. I also pay close attention for out of the ordinary signs because she may have an infection (ear, sinus, throat).
Me (28), DH (31), Kayden Riley born 06/09/09

orin34 responded:
My son has really bad breath when he isn't feeling well.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 30 and have been married to my husband for 8 years. We have 2 daughters. Our oldest is 5 and the youngest is 2. We enjoy spending time playing ou...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.