Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
2 yr old son trouble understanding...and have potty training questions....
needinganswer posted:
My son speaks in short sentences and seems to understand certain things. However my boyfriend keeps telling me that my son is "slow", because he doesn't really follow certain commands. For example, we tell him to chew his food, he will look at us "confused", and then spits it out. We have tried showing him how we chew our food (to get him to mimic), and he simply won't do it. It isn't that my son doesn't know how to chew, as he has been doing it for quite some time. The concern is that we tell him to "chew", and it's as if he has NO CLUE what that means, even if we show him and tell him what it is. Also, if we ask Anthony how he is doing, he either will look confused or give us an answer totally unrelated to the question. Example: "Did you have a good day" or "Were you a good boy today". His response is "My Anthony". I don't know what to do. Most of the time, my son, if he doesn't know the answer to a question, will just look confused and/or start crying. I don't know how to teach him any other way. l'm starting to wonder if my boyfriend is right and I have just been "blinded" by my love for my son, or if it is just my boyfriend having lack of patience. Maybe both? Also, my son has issues communicating that his diaper is dirty, yet has gone on the "big boy potty" several times. How do I get him properly potty trained, especially if he truly is having communication/cognative issues?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and Welcome needinganswer -

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with these issues. I know you want to know if your son is OK and also figure out how to help him communicate and potty train, one of the best things you can do is schedule an appointment with his pediatrician to go over your concerns, your son's behaviors and responses.

It is difficult to give answers over a message board, but we can provide you with some resources to help out. You can also post specific questions to Dr. Benaroch, our expert on our Parenting Community for possible response.

Growth and Development - 12 to 24 Months
Speech and Language Development
Growth and Development
3 to 4 Year Old Milestones
Potty Training Discussions with Dr. Lara Jana

Please let us know if this is helpful,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Amie- a 29 year old Registered Dental Hygienist, mom to a beautiful, spirited 2 year old little girl Hayden, Wife to a 28 year old Credit Unio...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.