Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
2 year old toddler, calcium deficiency, according to Dr using a hand held device
Anon_145116 posted:
my family and I are over in mainland china where healthcare is very much substandard, a dr used a probe scanner and held it against the shin of 2 year old toddler and determined he's low in calcium, then prescribed 12 x 10ml vials and a vial is to be taken a day, in each vial there is:
1. calcium gluconates 600mg
2.zinc gluconates 30mg
3.L lysine HCl 100mg

Toddler loves vegetables of all sorts including leafy greens and is very healthy and fit, we know for certain that 30,mg of zinc for a two year old is ~10x too much, and it is 200%RDA for an adult. read that 10mg per pound for children over 2yrs old. he is 13kg , 28.6lb, so this is a definite over dose as well,

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7362280_much-lysine-use.html
http://www.livestrong.com/article/442631-what-is-l-lysine-hci/

Vitamin D3 capsules was also subscribed, they are 400IU I assume, as it says 400 VitaminD3

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Anon and Welcome -

I wanted to suggest reposting your concerns with our Parenting Community for possible response from Dr. Benaroch.

In the meantime, check out these articles -
4 Nutrients Your Child May Be Missing
Kid Nutrition: Quick Tips for Parents

Let us know if this is helpful,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Amy, and I am Mommy to a beautiful little girl name Arianna. She was born on 3/5/2008. My husband Lee & I have been married since 2000....More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.