Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mommy guilt
segadelli24 posted:
So I am seven monthse pregnant with a boy due in August , a two year old little girl and a five year old little boy. I love my daughter with all my heart but she is the complete opposite of my son. When my son was two he suprised people , he was easy going , very lovable , patient I honestly never new what people were talking about when they said "terrible two's" until I met my daughter.
My daughter turned two April 8th and she is loud , obnoxious , dramatic , and very jelous and clingy because of the upcoming arrival that she cannot fully understand. I love and cherish my daughters colorfull attitude and zeal towards life , but at the same time it can be frustrating. My biggest frustration right know is her sleep schedule a month ago she went from putting herself to bed to refusing and nap time and bedtime have become a total ordeal , tonite I actually gave up left her with my husband and drove around the block for 45 minutes she was still up crying for me when I returned. I am lost , pissed , depressed and at the end of my rope I was actually in tears tonite. I rocked my son to sleep or layed down and rubbed his back until he was two and a half years old , it doesnt bother me to do the same for my daughter. The problem is its not that simple she likes to play in her bed and wants me to stay til she gets sleepy then when she finally begins to go to sleep even when her eyes are closed the minute the floorboard creeks or the bed shifts her eyes pop open and we are back to square one , within three to four hours she is up and crawling into bed with us for the remainder of the night , I have tried everything I can think of , to top it off its spilling over into the daytime she wants me to be with her all the time , holding her or playing with her , even after I spend time playing with her and giving her attention when I tell her its time for mommy to do the laundry or the dishes she pitches a fit , with the new baby on the way I so desperatly want to break her of these habits and this insecurity but am at a loss I feel guilty for wanting my evenings back but I do .... I dont mind comforting her for a while but taking an hour and a half to put her to bed every night is to much!

MiriRose responded:
Hi there - I'm so sorry you're dealing with these bedtime challenges. I can understand how frustrating it can be.. especially after having such an easy time with your son! I work at Focus on the Family, and they have an article on their website about "Getting Toddlers to Sleep ." Also, there are counselors at Focus that will speak with you over the phone for free. They might be able to offer you some additional guidance about your daughter's behavior. I hope things improve soon. Congratulations on your upcoming arrival of new baby! God bless you

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi segadelli24 -

Breathe, you will get through this, although it doesn't seem like it right now. I remember putting myself in time out, in my room or like you driving around just to escape the tantrums. I have always referred to my now 7 yr old daughter as strong-willed.

Until other parents pop in with advice, this article may be helpful, Tackling Toddler Sleep Problems .

Who has some helpful info for segadelli24?

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

MonicaLynn87 responded:
know exactly what you are talking about! i am going through this with my 2-year old. Since he learned to climb out of his crib, he just does not sleep at night. When he finally does go to sleep, it's only an hour or so before he's in my bed. I know this is bad, but i have put a TV in his room and let him watch it til he falls asleep. Honestly it would take me 2 hours to put him to sleep otherwise, and i just don't have the time, with my 6 year old and homework and cleaning up dinner. You just have to realize that you must create time for yourself if you want to be a better parent. If you don't give in and pick your battles you will run yourself ragged and end up being a mean frustrated mom in the long run.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Mom(30) of one DD (11/16/07) living in Southeast Missouri. DH (37)is a farmer and website guru; I work full time for a large insurance compa...More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.