Skip to content
Terrible Twos?
MonicaLynn87 posted:
I have custody of my 2-and a half-year old nephew and have had since he was 13 months old. He calls me Mommy and my 6-year old son brother so he is basically my son. I also love him just the same as i do my own son. My problem is that I feel like his terrible 2s are maybe more "terrible" than normal. And not calming down at all since he was 15 months. I don't know if it is just me overreacting, so I need some input. He is not talking like the other kids in his 2 yr old daycare group, so i do have him in speech therapy and he sees a Special Instructor for the behavioral issues. He is 2 and a half, and still runs for the street any time we are out. He won't hold my hand, if i try to hold his hand he throws himself to the ground. In public, he screams really loudly and abruptly for no apparent reason at all. He is constantly doing the exact OPPOSITE of what we say to do. I know this is normal for 2 year olds but this is all the time, and i never had problems to this extent with my 6 year old. I can't take him anywhere in public and actually enjoy him because the whole time he is focused on running away or doing something dangerous or embarassing. Seriously, the whole time. I am not exaggerating. I have heard of the disorder ODD but i think it is too early to think of something like that. I just don't know what to do. I feel trapped because I can't go anywhere with him, and i feel like it's so unfair to my 6-year old. Please help!

Ihgirl1066 responded:
Im sorry to hear what you are going through, i cant offer you any help, but i hope things get better for you and you can help you son and you can start enjoying family time.
Jessica, DH (Trav), DS (4-24-10), DD (9-29-11)

MonicaLynn87 replied to Ihgirl1066's response:
Thank you. I feel terrible about being frustrated and not going out as much because i really do love him so much! I really hope this is something he will grow out of. I just feel like maybe i am doing something wrong, because it's been over a year and the behavior has not changed at all.

BabyParks replied to MonicaLynn87's response:
I do have advice for you. He sounds very similar to my son. Look up some Autism spectrum disorders and see if he has any of those symptoms I just about guarentee you will see them in him. My son was recently diagnosed with PDD-NOS look it up also. It is pervasive developmental disorder. One of the signs that it may be autism too is he isn't talking. That is one of the first things you notice but the tantrums for us were the worst ever and going out was never an option for us. We quit. He is now 32 months and he is starting to communicate alot more and things have gotten much better. He has a speech therapist he sees 2x's a month and an OT for his sensory issues 2x's a month as well and we have started him in ABA therapy recently. I would talk to the pediatrician and voice my concerns to them. Tell them you would like to get an Early intervention set up for him if you haven't already done so. I would then try to find out as much as I could about his symptoms and write them each down exactly what he does. It is not within the normal range like you say for him to be doing those things and that is something I knew as a mom. Even him being my only child I knew something wasn't quite right with him. He barely tested for the PDD-NOS diagnosis since he is doing so much better with speech and he is so high functioning but I do feel he still needs the therapy to help with his behavioral issues. Him throwing himself in the floor was something we dealt with alot too. I would say my son had at least 20 major meltdowns a day before and then now it is down to a good 5 or less a day and they are minor. He is able to communicate more tho and that makes so much difference. When they can't tell you what they want its so hard. My son just now is putting two words together and saying a few phrases like No I not and things of that nature. but he mostly still just speaks in two words like Hi daddy( he just started saying alot in the last 3 weeks) He never told anyone Hi or bye and now he is all the sudden talking and telling everyone and everything bye including the moon and rabbits and the dogs ect. So breath and know that it will get easier with time and the right help just don't give up if you think something's not right then keep talking to ppl until somoene listens even if you have to get referrals like we did. I will be praying for you all and know this is a difficult thing to swallow. I am not saying your child is Autistic or on the spectrum but it could very well be something along those lines so read into it for sure. They won't touch diagnosis a child under school age that is ADHD trust me we've tried that cause my son is extremely hyper as well but that also runs along with the Autism spectrum disorders so I encourage you to read more and look at his symptoms and see if you can get your dr. to listen and get you someone to test him or at least start the EIP now!

BabyParks replied to BabyParks's response:
Also the ODD is something that could very well be there and they may not diagnosis it this early either but it's worth checking into and talking ot them about. Again I wll keep praying. please update on what you find out.

MonicaLynn87 replied to BabyParks's response:
thank you so much your response was very helpful, even though I am just not reading it He has definitely gotten alot better the past few months, still not able to really go out but we try very short outings and leave as soon as he starts to act up, even if it means not getting in line after shopping. i feel like this is the only way he will learn. He was evaluated for autism and will be again once he turns 3. I am not sure if that's the case here, because he has actually gotten much more verbal and social, but i know there are different spectrums so who knows....My brother has autism so i have always been very watchful for symptoms with both kids. Thank you for praying for me, and i will pray for you as well

MonicaLynn87 replied to MonicaLynn87's response:
Sorry I meant "Just NOW reading it" haha

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Becky I'm a 26 yr old single mother of a beautiful biracial 2 yr old son. Currently I'm looking for work and going back to school f...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.