Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
almost 2 year old only eats baby food
jakesmom0813 posted:
Hi. My son is 22 months and he only eats baby food. He was born with tracheomalacia but thankfully he's outgrown it. Having the tracheomalacia has led to feeding issues. He has difficulty with certain food textures. He doesn't like soft foods he has to chew. He gags or has tantrums if he has to eat it. He will eat Gerber puffs, yogurt bites, Teddy Grahams, and an occasional Nilla wafer (on a good day lol.). He's in a behavioral feeding therapy clinic at the University of Michigan hospital once a week. Sometimes it can make you feel alone as parents because nobody I know has ever experienced this. He's developing well but he also has delayed speech. I have him enrolled in therapy through Early On to help with this issue. He's been through so much already and I hate to see him struggle with eating as well. Has anybody else been through this? If so, does it get better? Thanks

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jakesmom and Welcome -

While waiting for others to respond I wanted to stop in and thank you for sharing your story with us. It sounds like you are a great mom coordinating the necessary therapies.

For those of you not familiar with tracheomalcia click here .

Please keep us posted on his progress,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

jakesmom0813 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks so much I'm trying to do everything possible to help him get where he needs to be. Yesterday he actually ate "modified" macaroni and cheese - his first meal that wasn't baby food! I had to make the cheese sauce separate and use tiny round pasta but he ate it. I appreciate your response

BibiSuarezO responded:
Hi - Just wanted to let you know, you are not alone. My son is also 22 months and wont have any solid food except: crackers, cookies, puffs, cheetos, doritos...if its not in the form of a cookie or similar he wont even try it. Before he turned 1 he would eat rice, bread, beans, chicken, he was open to everything but after 1 he shut down. Our pedi says that since he was a colic baby and also had the milk protein allergy (which has recently returned) he is traumatized. I was stressed out, worried and going nuts over the fact that he wasn't eating but now i am pretty much over it. Maybe he is just going to be a picky eater? I know I was and still am. Eating should be a pleasurable experience for them and not one that they are crying and screaming because then they will hate it for good. At school they give him his plate, just like everyone else, he is more open to trying fruits but only eats half. At night I offer him what we are having, he usually says no but at least he has the option. He eats his puree while having yogurt and ill let him snack after to put some solids in his belly. Eventually they will out grow this, and one day we will be able to bribe them with toys, clothes, park, etc. => As long as there is food at home and a mom who wont let them starve, they wont.

jakesmom0813 replied to BibiSuarezO's response:
Thanks for your reply. My son also had a milk allergy as well as GERD. He outgrew both thankfully but he still struggles with textures. It's nice to know we aren't alone He just recently had his third swallow study which showed some mild dysphagia still but at least we don't have to thicken his liquids anymore! At daycare they offer him a typical toddler meal first (which he always refuses) and then he eats his baby food. They are so good with him at daycare I'll keep you updated!

Spotlight: Member Stories

well im 27 years old,im married and i have two beautiful kids,shianne who is 8 yrs.old and michael who is 17 months old.i just want to be a better mot...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.