Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Acid reflux/Gag reflex
MandieLs posted:
Recently my 23 month old son was put on a med called 'Rananitaid" (sp?) for acid reflux. Now, I am not familiar with acid reflux or anything but what I have noticed is he is gagging when he tries to eat anything new, especially something cold, or with a texture he is not familiar with.

Ex: I tried brushing a strawberry against his lips for him to get the taste, and he gagged and gagged and eventually he vomited/spit up a tiny bit.

He does eat breads (english muffin, pancakes etc) , cereal, pizza, cheese, yogurt things of that nature. In grilled cheese I try hiding veggies, sometimes it works. I also noticed that he loves his cheese, and milk. He drinks Lactaid milk he had a problem with milk ever since he was born. He was drinking Soy formula then switched over to Lactaid milk. He prefers his milk over juice and water. I have read things about gluten-free diets, not sure the significance to that. I am not sure not whether he truly has acid reflux or if its a gag reflux causing him to vomit. Or both? He was vomiting 3-4 times a day so the med has helped, but it hasn't stopped him completely. The only time he vomits now is he is gagging beforehand.

He is very active and happy. I mean constantly on the go running, laughing, playing. He has plenty of energy. Don't know the significance of that either but the doctors always ask me that question.

Someone please give me some insight here. It is very frustrating that my child doesn't have a healthy diet, and I don't know what else to do.

Is there something to stop gagging?

Take the Poll

Don't know what this is!
vote
View Poll Results

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi MandieLS and Welcome to WebMD!

I am sorry to hear your little guy is going through this.

We have a few questions for you to -
Was he diagnosed with reflux and then the gagging began?
Has he been tested him for any allergies?
Was he on anything as an infant?
Let us know and we can help find more info about diet and what's going on.

Here are a couple of links to familiarize yourself with Acid Reflux/GERD -

GERD in Infants and Children
Understanding Digestion in Children - Slideshow

Elizabeth

Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

MandieLs replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for taking the time to read, and reply.

He was diagnosed with reflux, but the gagging has been going on just as long as the vomiting had been.
I'm trying to think back as far as I can. He had always been a picky eater, but he didn't start the vomiting until about the same time my daughter was born. So it's been happening since about March, he's been on meds for acid reflux since June.
He has not been tested for any type of allergy.
He wasn't on anything special as an infant, except the soy formula he had been on that since day one.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 25 years old and I live with my boyfriend and daughter in Wisconsin. I'm just recently a stay at home mom, never knew it was this much wor...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.