Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
thumb sucking
lewsmom posted:
My daughter is nearly 15 months old and recently started daycare about 3 weeks ago. She has sucked her thumb since she was ~ 3 mo. old. The daycare teachers informed me today that she is sucking her thumb frequently during the day and subsequently placed a band-aid on her thumb to deter her. I'm concerned because she does not suck her thumb that frequently at home and am wondering if her increased thumb sucking is secondary to anxiety. I'm fearful that trying to get her to stop thumb sucking is taking away her only coping mechanism at daycare and may make her anxiety worse. But on the other I have read that excessive thumb sucking is also not healthy and so I am not sure what to do about this issue. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ihgirl1066 responded:
I really dont think it is their choice on stopping your child from sucking her thumb, that would be up to you. I think i'd be mad if they told me my son or daughter couldnt suck their thumb, it isnt hurting anyone...
Jessica, DH (Trav), DS (4-24-10), DD (9-29-11)

mikimom2010 responded:
I would definitely tell the daycare to NOT put a bandaid in her thumb. They carry horrible germs and anything she touches will be transferred to her mouth. It's your child and your decision. If they can't respect it then maybe you should consider finding a new daycare.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home Mom of 1 son. I love spending every day with him. I have an amazing husbands who works like crazy so I don't have to work outs...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.