Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
When to worry about diabetes?
Quiet_1 posted:
My 2 1/2 year old is constantly urinating. Upwards of 12+ times a day. This is very unlike her elder sister. She has been doing really well with the potty training but as of the last 2 months there has been a complete regression. Without any other behavioral issues, when does a parent become conserned about diabetes? We don't want to think that there is a diagnosis for every action, but we don't want to ignore a condition that could have such a dramatic effect on a major organ. Any advice is welcomed.

kay_kay75 responded:
First you have to remember that every child is going to be different, remember that she may not have the same bladder control that her sister does.
Second you have to compare what she is taking in that could be different, if she is drinking a lot or eating foods with a lot of water content that could be the reason you are seeing this.
Third is there a history of diabetes in the family? Any other signs and symptoms? I know that frequent urination is a signal but there are others as well. If you are still concerned I would call her pediatrician and discuss as they may be able to set your mind more at ease.
Both of my parents, all 4 of my grandparents as well as my husband have diabetes, so while we watch my daughter for warning signs we also make sure that her diet is well balanced, if you are concerned with this make sure to stay away from the simple carbs and sugary treats and drinks. Make it a lifestyle vs a "punishment"

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am first and for most a mother, wife, friend, worker, then full time student. I attend Louisiana State University full time, and try to work a littl...More

Helpful Tips

2 1/2 yr old Will Not Eat Regular Food
My 2 1/2 yr old grandson will not eat regular food for lunch or diner. He only wants baby food. We have tried puree the food, putting it in ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.