Skip to content
2yr old not going to sleep
An_248020 posted:
hello all, i have a two year old boy, and weve got him in a nighttime routine, but when it comes time to actually go to sleep..... forget it. his bedtime is usually between 8 and 830. but we still hear him up and moving about long after that, like 930 or even later, and then hes getting up at 630... there is NO WAY hes getting enough sleep, but i dont know what to do. i work nights and so my parents watch him, but when im home, i have to go in and cuddle him till he falls asleep, usually in my bed. i dont know what my parents are doing, but i need help with this problem.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
My son is 5 and my rule is his bedtime is 8p. That means he has to stay in his room but he doesn't have to go to sleep until he's ready. Oftentimes, I'll go in later and find him asleep on the floor or in his bed and will put him in his bed and/or cover him.

At 2 years old, he should get 12-14 hours of sleep a day. Does he take a nap during the day? If he does, maybe his nap is either too late in the day or too long.

Nicksbuckaroo responded:
He sounds just like how my almost 3 year old son was when he was 2. I found a book at the library that helped tremoundously. It's called 5 days to a perfect night's sleep for your child by Eduard Estivill. It took only 3 days until my son went from a bed time of 830 and not actually going to sleep til after some cuddle time around 10, and waking up every 1-2 hours and up for the day at 630, to after applying the plan in the book goes to bed and is actually in bed by himself at 830 sleeps til 630, which is still earlier than I like but at least now he is sleeping straight through and not getting up at night.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a beautiful, funny, smart and strikingly handsome son who is 2.5 years old....He doesn't live with me, but he's the reason that i work ...More

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.