Skip to content
how many words
babybartee posted:
My son will be 2 years old in a week and he says a few words and some unclear ones, should he be saying more than this at this age? I've heard many different things, some say its fine one day he will just talk others say he may need a speech therapt?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi babybartee and Welcome!

Check out this resource to check his development on several different levels -

Milestones for 2 Year Olds

I've always heard that boys talk later than girls. This article discusses a possible reason why. Moms of boys, what's your thoughts?

Testosterone May Delay Boys' Speech Development

Let us know if this is helpful,
Elizabeth

PS - Love to hear about birthday parties, share you plans for the big 2!

Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

genie06483 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have twin (2 year 3 months) old girls, one has a vocabular of a 5 year old. She speaks in full sentences and I cant even spell words because she repeats that as well. My other daughter puts some words together like 'sit down' but mostly speaks one word out of a sentense. Its very hard to understand what she wants sometimes and she gets frustrated. I had her evaluated by birth to 3 just before they turned two and they said she didnt qualify for services. I think she needs some speech classes but sometimes I guess we have to realize that all kids develope at different paces and have different personalities that may make them talk more, etc. Its hard not to worry as a mom! Having your child evaluated professionally may help ease your mind.

kjl23001 responded:
My son was the same way he could only say a few words that you could understand and he is in speech therapy and he is 8 years old now.

anjuli replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
as a mother of five and grandmother of 16 and great grandmother of 10 these are my greatest gifts

72678 responded:
yes i agree boys do take longer to talk then girls, but there is no harm in calling a early intervention organization they will come to your home and do a few tests and then if they feel your child needs help they will set u up with a speech theripist the earlier u get help the better, when my first son was 20 months old he was saying nothing just noises he started recieving speech and now at age 6 he is great he does not need speech anymore he was talking clearly by age 3 i am forever gratefull i got help, i have a second son he will be 2 in january and he will be evaluated to see if he needs help cause he is not saying much alot of babbling like he is having a conversation just cant understand him and he is getting fustrated

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello all..I am now a proud mother of a 2year old little girl. Miss Celeste blessed my life on 8/9/08 and she is truly my angel! I am also a single f...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.