Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
2 1/2yr old stopped sleeping through the night
An_251535 posted:
For about the past 2 months my son has quit sleeping through the night. He wakes up around 230 crying, cranky, and uncooperative. At times he'll even get violent slamming doors, and hitting or kicking at me. I've tried everything I can think of to help him sleep, from wearing him out at night, to no tv after a certain time, taking toys out of his room that might scare or distract him. Now any time he goes to bed he wants someone to stay with him till he falls asleep and once he's back in bed he can toss and turn for an hour before he's finally and truly out. I'm concerned with his health and safety, along with my own.

nreyn3 responded:
My DH and I are having the same problem with my 2 year old step-son. Now we only get him for "visitation" which for us is generally 3 days/2 nights a week. He slept in his own room throughout the night (occasional diaper change) since before he turned one! (with his mother he was in her bed) Now that she got him his own room, all of a sudden hes screaming at the top of his lungs and crying 3 to 5 times a night. Come to find out when he does this shes allowing him to come to her bed!! I'm not sure on the particulars of your situation, but without everyone on the same page it wont get better! Don't give in, and the best we've found is to let him know he's safe, we're in the next room, and he needs to sleep in his own bed like the big boy he is! Let me know if you figure anything out that works better, because I'm expecting and exhausted at all times and desperately need my sleep!! Good luck to you!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Lyndsey (27) - I have a little girl, Lydia Janelle born in Feb 2008. Wasn't a leap year baby, but came close! She is my only child and ...More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.