Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
two grandchildren
An_251901 posted:
I have a 2yr old granddaughter and a 3.5 yr old grandson. I am a little concerned and just wanted some advice. my granddaughter sucks her thumb and puts her hand in her private area. A little background, the mother is imbalanced and having a hard time trying to keep the child, so my son has the little girl. They have rough time co-parenting because she wants to get back with him, but he doesn't and I think my grand daughter is having issues dealing with that. On the other side, my grandson, it is hard to get him to eat anything. He will eat Mcdonald's chicken nuggets, spaghetti and meatballs and a few fruits. He loves to drinks juices, but we try not to give him sugary drinks. We try to get him to eat other things, but he says no and will just not try anything too much. He and my daughter have moved to hear, and I know he was used to his aunt keeping him all the time. They stayed with me for a little while, but my daughter got her own place. I don't know if the move or change has made a difference. But he has always had a problem with trying new foods. Any suggestions for my grand kids.

JLDean responded:
I'm confused about which issue you require suggestions about, but you should assess exactly where your granddaughter puts her thumb and what she does with it when it's there, before becoming alarmed. It's normal, as you know, for toddlers to touch while discovering parts of themselves.

As for your grandson, sugar is as bad as giving your child canned, fried and fast foods, and making a habit of either will definitely influence his preferred intake.

Home cooked meals are the best thing you can do for your child, along with having them together, at a dinner table, with everyone eating the same foods. If your child is not eating properly, you might try putting a combination of any of these foods: fruit and vegetables, nuts, tortilla and vegetable chips, raisins, cheese, pretzels, PB&J, crackers, breads, cereal with wheat or grains, rice, beans, grilled chicken, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, etc., on the table and see what he eats.

Avoid using salt and pepper and other seasonings in your child's food. Use fresh garlic, unions, green peppers, etc., to add flavor to your child's home cooked meals.

Make some distinction between what is fun foods or treat and what is required eating. Sometimes it helps to suggest that a treat is the reward to having eaten his required meals.

All the best!!!
Let me know how this works!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashlee and my husband Luke and I have been together for 6 years and married for 3. We have two beautiful daughters, Kendall who was born Fe...More

Helpful Tips

2 1/2 yr old Will Not Eat Regular Food
My 2 1/2 yr old grandson will not eat regular food for lunch or diner. He only wants baby food. We have tried puree the food, putting it in ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.