Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Listening
Red101 posted:
My daughter which is 2 1/2 isn't listening when I say no. She was doing good in the beginning but then just doesn't want to do what she was told. How to handle this? Also, she's been swearing in public. How do I avoid this before it gets worse? Then, she just started potty training do I still keep a diaper on during the day or do I put a pull-up over the diaper. This is all new for me. I hope I get some answers from these questions.

sprsciencetchr responded:
Hi Red,

My son is also 2 1/2 and has trouble following directions. I have tried time-outs which worked really well to begin with but they are starting to become less effective. A friend of mine suggested using a marble jar where the child gets a marble each time they do something well. When they fill the jar they get a special treat that they pick out. I have used this with my students and it worked great, I am going to try it this week!

As for the swearing, you have to start with limiting how much of this language she hears. If other people use these words she will assume they are acceptable. Then, give her alternatives. My son would say GD and I absolutely hated it. Instead I told him he meant to say 'oops', so he corrected himself and he no longer uses the phrase.

My only potty training advice would be to go right to big kid undies. Pull ups are great for naps and bedtime when they are still not ready to control the urge in their sleep.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All. My husband and I have been TTC baby # 2 since July 2010 so we are 17 months of trying. I will say it is much easier having my son now. He i...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.