Skip to content
touching
momagain2011 posted:
My son will be 2 in august and has really discovered he has something down there. I know this is normal to explore and touch. BUT its like he is obsessed! I just want to know if this much touching and pullng is ok. I also have a 5 yr old that started humping herself to sleep when she was 2. I guess its just uncomfortable for me, and I am not sure what to do or to say.

JLDean responded:
I assume you are a single woman raising your boy on your own. You're right, it is normal for a child to explore and touch him/herself, but with that should come some explanation about the part of the body and what it's basic function is, and how is is used. A father of a 2.5 year old male child myself, my son was also suddenly aware of his genitalia (probably around the same age as your son, 2). My explanation of his genitals, their connection to other body parts and how they work help to train him for the potty and reduced his fascination for his new friend he now regards as personal and private and important.

Be careful not to put too much attention on his playfulness and not to discourage his familiarity with his discovery. You don't want to give the impression that playing with it is a bad thing. Coupled with an understanding of this part of his body basic information about it will help him to accept it as a permanent part of himself, like his arms, legs, etc., and cause him to not play with it as much. But honestly speaking, no matter what you do or say, or how old your child is or becomes, his hands will always have a tendency to touch his private for one reason or another, or no reason at all.

If you're a single mom raising your male child, it should come natural for you to explain the basic feature and function of your boy's penis, during bath time, while going to the potty, etc. If you are uncomfortable doing this, find some books/videos in the child section of your local library that has great pictures, which you can read to him. Refrain from allowing men who are not his Dad, or a regular/familiar and trustworthy caregiver teach him this.

All the best!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home Mom of 1 son. I love spending every day with him. I have an amazing husbands who works like crazy so I don't have to work outs...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.