Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
hitting and scratching
sandy20131961 posted:
My 3 y.o. is a scratching machine. He hits and scratches everyone. I go to put him in his car seat and he often (usually) scratches my face when both hands are busy snapping the belt for the seat, he does it with both hands and draws blood and laughs. he is not angry. He would have some screeching incidents where he'd screech once or twice or thrice a couple times a day. Those are waning. He's very intelligent and doesn't seem to do it out of anger, but it seems he does it to get a reaction. He has a good attention span and acts happy not angry. I'm at a loss of what to do. He doesn't do it constantly at pre-school but one incident a day every 2 or 3 days. He knows not to hit and scratch and knows it can lead to loss of privileges and time out. We are beginning to resort to spanking and it stops it for awhile, but I don't want to spank my kid 3 times a day everyday. In fact, I refuse.

earleyml1012 responded:
Time out. It works for us, whenever DD hits anyone she has to sit in her time-out chair for 2 minutes (her age). She hates it and crys the entire time but after it's over I ask why she had to sit there. She tells me and then has to apologize to whomever she hit.

earleyml1012 replied to earleyml1012's response:
Oh and you have to be consistent!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Lyndsey (27) - I have a little girl, Lydia Janelle born in Feb 2008. Wasn't a leap year baby, but came close! She is my only child and ...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.