Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pet for 2 Year Old
candi352 posted:
Hello! So I desperately want a dog for me and my daughter. The problem is I recently brought my daughter around my friend and her 2 pugs. At first she was frightened, but she would later swing at the dogs and try to hit them. I am wondering if there is a dog out there that would be a good match for her or do I just need to wait until she is a little older when she knows that this is not okay. What do you guys think?

penny6 responded:
Hello work in rescue so come across this problem a lot. First of all it will depend on how old your child is. Once your child is able to understand what you say then that will be the best time to get a dog. You need to not push your daughter and teach to stroke not pat. Patting to a child is literally patting not stroking. (if that made sense).
You need to teach her to go gently and be calm. now is she is not calm then she doesnt get to stroke the dog etc. Its up to you to watch and manage this.

Second part would be do you get a puppy or older dog. Most puppies jump and scratch kids. Then the kids scream and cry and run away. Puppy will either think its a game or now be scared of the child.
So you will need to teach puppy if it wants attention then it has to sit or lay down for pats etc.

Sometimes its a lot better to take on a slightly older dog than a puppy but one that has already been with children. Some rescue groups will have access to this information.
Again it takes time for the dog and the child to be comfortable together.

I would say wait until she is at least 2years old so she can understand instructions from you.

I hope that helps.
also look and research breeds that are good with kids.

candi352 replied to penny6's response:
Thank you soooo much!!! She is 2 and I've noticed that she is starting to understand a lot more nowadays. I may wait until she is at least 3. Thanks so much for the advice. I didn't think about the advantages of getting an older dog vs a puppy.

hgreenwood7058 replied to candi352's response:
It may just be a training point on her part. My sons been around our 2 cats since he was born. And he's been around his sitters 5 dogs since 9 months (two small dogs and a medium sized adult dog to start and then they got two puppies that were 5 weeks old when he was about 16months). He turned 2 at the end of march. We have since taken the two youngest dogs from them and they are 9 months old now. There are advantages with puppies as well as adult dogs. We originally wanted a dog that was at least a year old that was potty trained and does good with kids. We didn't want to be potty training puppy while we have a 2 yo running around and a now 2 month old. Since these two dogs have been around our son since he was really little and were taught not to jump on kids when they were a lot smaller I think that helped. With children and with puppies you have to teach the child not to hit and teach the dogs not to nip or jump on the child. You can bring your LO to friends houses more often to get her used to the idea of an animal and begin teaching her that its not okay to hit. (or ride... my son keeps trying to ride the dogs. Though when I was younger I did the same thing. Another benefit to knowing the dogs are good with kids. They just stand up and he slides off)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 39 and have a wonderful partner who is the same age. Between the 2 of us we have 6 children. They range between the ages of 18-2! We have 3 boys ...More

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.