Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OT eye surgery.
Amanda1981 posted:
This belongs on the school age board but, they are tad slow and you all have a lot of wisdom and great advice. This might get a little long winded so please bare with me while I try to explain.

Since Kaitlyn was 15 months old her eyes turned in, we tried patching, glasses, eye drops that dilated her pupil and nothing worked so, right after she turned 3 she had her first eye surgery, doctor said she was fine to stop wearing glasses around age 5 her eyes began turning in again, we took her to a pediatric eye doctor this time and he suggested another eye surgery, she had it done last year, well he over corrected her eyes so, now they turn out. Instead of dealing with that doc we took her to another one and he told us she is severely far-sighted and has astigmitisim (sp) (something the other doc failed to mention), he wrote an rx for glasses and has us patching again, at her last appt. her eye tests showed her eyes are stronger but, they still turn out. He suggested surgery (after a month of seeing her), now granted eye doctors know best but, after our last expierence. you can see where I am a little weary. We set up the surgery and it's the end of this month (exactly a year after her last surgery), now I am having serious doubts, with the patching I notice her eyes are staying straight more often, I think I am going to take her to her pre-op appt. and have the doctor check her again and possibly put off the surgery, maybe her eyes just need more time patching and wearing glasses. DH wants it done because he doesn't want her teased at school going into 1st grade she will be hanging with the older kids more, and he worries about that. I just don't know what to do, I am so conflicted about this.

cary1974 responded:
I would say if you have noticed improvement, point that out to the doc, if she can avoid surgery I would! But at the same time if the doc says yes to surgery I would do that too.

neeru_pdx responded:
I am an optometrist, and I disagree with your statement. "granted doctors know best"! We always try to do what we think is best and correct, but some times things are not cut and dry, and there can be more than one good option. Express your concerns. Your daughter (and her eyes) is still growing and developing, so there may be some benefit to continuing with patching and implementing some vision therapy. Talk to the doctor about the possible consequences of putting off the surgery. The doctor should listen to you and work with you to decide on treatment. And, seriously consider vision therapy in addition to thw glasses and patching etc.

lyse_anne responded:
It must be really difficult to be in your postition and feel you need to do SOMETHING but don't know what exactly or who you should be listening to...

Here's some fun exercises you can use to distract your daughter while patching: http://drpatch.ca/eye-treatments/lazy-eye-exercises/

Best thing I can say is stay positive and supportive to her whatever happens, this will make a huge difference in how she copes with it!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Mom(30) of one DD (11/16/07) living in Southeast Missouri. DH (37)is a farmer and website guru; I work full time for a large insurance compa...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.